xi. the girl who knew too much

[ start of the girl who knew too much part one ]

ELEANOR DECIDED THAT perhaps being a good friend didn't have good consequences, like she once thought. Or maybe it was just her bad luck that landed her in situations like these.

  She had agreed the week before, when speaking to Danny about how they hadn't hung out in a long time that she would stay with him after school and attend practice for the band's recital - she was being a good friend.

  But while her hands were covered in Deputy Tara's blood, her bottom lip trembling as her fears ran down her pale cheeks in the form of water, collapsed on to her knees in utter defeat, Eleanor felt lost. She felt like something had been taken from her, something she would never be able to get back.

  Her life was playing a game of monopoly - people were losing their lives and although she was lucky enough not to be one of them, they were people she loved and people she cared about. It wasn't fair.

  She had been following Danny through the halls, laughing about god knows what when Deputy Tara stopped them and asked them of their appearance. She seemed agitated and weary but she put on a friendly smile for Eleanor.

  Eleanor thought nothing of it - probably a prank call from a freshman. They told the deputy of the band rehearsal that night and the recital the next day, insisting that their principle had arranged it and that they weren't causing any havoc. Eleanor remembered Tara mentioning something about them needing to leave, but she was distracted by the thought that whatever had been happening to Heather, and Kyle and Harris might happen that night too.

  She knew that she should have followed Tara, it was something that she thought she was going to regret for the rest of her life. Before she could so much as move in the right direction, Danny whisked Eleanor away and into the music room, announcing to the group of pupils sat idly on the chairs that the deputy had ordered them to leave because of a 911 call.

  There was groaning, zipping of bags and chairs screeching across the floor before the classroom was empty. Eleanor found herself walking alongside Danny as they followed the band students outside into the cool, dark night - it was spring and the air had finally started to get warmer and if Eleanor wasn't so on edge, she probably would have enjoyed the walk home with Danny.

  But as she watched her peers climb into cars or walk out of the exit, she caught a chill cascading down her neck. It was sudden, and a small gust of wind was enough to blow it away but something felt odd - there was something different.

  "You coming, Hale?" Danny called, taking a step toward the pedestrian exit of the school gates, his hand holding on to his backpack.

  Eleanor bit her lip. "Uh, I think I forgot my phone inside. Go ahead, i might catch you up."

  Danny raised an eyebrow but nodded, giving her a small smile as he began his walk towards the exit. "See you tomorrow, Elle."

"You too, Danny."