viii. motel california

[ start of motel california ]

ELEANOR WOKE UP AS THE BUS PULLED to a halt outside a dimly lit motel, feeling much better than the several hours ago when her body felt as if it were draining of all blood. Oddly, she felt refreshed.

When she woke, she was cuddled into Stiles' chest, her head resting just below his. He was speaking to Scott, a profound smile upon his face as his arms were casually wrapped around her - she wished that for once, it could always be this simple. She felt at peace.

The bus' screeching breaks made her sink back into reality and caused her to sit up from where she had previously been wrapped in Stiles' grasp. She did this slowly and the brunette boy smiled as she moved, his hand on top of her hair as he looked down.

"Hey - you're awake." His voice was low and raspy, but he seemed relieved and happy that Eleanor was now conscious.

The younger Hale smiled and nodded, leaning backwards to rest on the seat as she looked up at him, yawning. "What happened?"

"You fainted - you had us all scared. Allison stitched Scott up and figured out it was all in his head - he wasn't letting himself heal and neither were you. Sleeping it off was the best thing you could've done."

She nodded silently and looked around as everyone started to stand up and awaited to exit the bus. "What time is it?"

"I don't know - like, six?" Stiles stated, unsure as he looked outside as the sun started to set.

Eleanor nodded and watched as Stiles stood up, taking his offered hand as they grabbed their bags and followed the line of pupils heading outside and to the front of the run down motel.

It looked exactly like something from a nightmare or a horror movie. It was dirty, no doubt cheap, and didn't look at all customer friendly. It wasn't somewhere that the friends warmed to.

"I've seen worse." Scott commented idly from behind Stiles and Eleanor, causing a raised eyebrow and an eye widening at his statement.

"Where in hell have you seen worse?"

"Listen up! The meet has been pushed until tomorrow. This is the closest motel with the most vacancies and least amount of good judgement when it comes to accepting a bunch of degenerates like yourselves."

Coach's speech made nearly all of the students groan in disappointment. Eleanor looked around at her friends and bit her lip as the wind caused goosebumps to appear across her arms. She didn't like the place at all.