xix. more bad than good

[ start of more bad than good ]

  "YOU'RE SURE IT was her?" Noah asked for seemed like the thousandth time since he had arrived at the preserve.

  The quartet, after discovering Malia and her coyote den, as well as discussing the fact that they needed to shut the door in their minds quickly and that they may need some help from Derek, had called Noah to explain what had happened.

  It was a tough job to convince the Sheriff of what they were telling him; he was still incredibly knew to the entire supernatural world.

  "I looked her right in the eyes and they glowed just like mine." Scott spoke in certainty, his eyes wide.

  Stiles nodded. "It makes sense, Dad."

  "But it wasn't a girl. It was a four-legged coyote, right?"

  Jaden sighed and scratched the back of his head awkwardly. "Well, okay. But yeah, see, that's the point that we don't exactly have figured out yet."

  "Okay, but if it was a full moon and she did change while her mom was driving, then anything could've happened." Scott pointed out, leaning against Roscoe as they spoke in hushed whispers.

    Stiles nodded eagerly. "Horrible things could've happened: ripping, shredding, tearing things."

  "Which is probably what caused the accident."

  "Think about it, Noah, all right. They're driving, Malia starts to change, she goes out of control, the mom crashes and everybody dies." Jaden spoke blatantly, taking step by step.

  "Except for Malia."

  Stiles continues for Jaden. "She blames herself, all right, goes off running into the woods and eventually becomes trapped inside the body of a coyote."

  "That makes sense." There was a small silence for when all four teenagers looked to Noah in surprise, and then; "In a Chinese folktale! Guys, this is this is insane. I need this kept quiet, not a word. I don't want anyone hearing about this. I especially don't want Mr. Tate hearing about this."

  And with just Noah's luck, a familiar police cruiser pulled up and within seconds, Scott's father was climbing out of the vehicle with Mr Tate in tow. Eleanor growled lowly at the sight of Rafael and rested a soft hand on top of Scott's, who seemed beyond angry.

  "Mr Tate." Noah started, however the man wasn't looking at all in the Sheriff's direction.

  Malia's father was staring in disbelief at the thin piece of material enclosed in Jaden's hands. "It's hers."