xxvi. echo house

[ start of echo house ]

  EICHEN HOUSE WAS a mental institution founded long before Eleanor was born but she knew that it was a place not many people were fond of, for obvious reasons. Many people were checked in and never came back out again, never saw the light of day, never experienced freedom and were trapped in the dreary walls of the building, never to be heard of again.

It was a place for psychopaths and people who had severe mental problems. It was not a place for a vulnerable 17 year old teenager.

It was not the place for Stiles.

Which was the first thing that crossed Eleanor's mind as she was told of his admission into the insane asylum ten minutes across from the heart of the town. The revelation shocked her into silence and then all of a sudden she was on the back of Jaden's motorbike, on the way to convince Stiles and his father otherwise, Scott hot on their heels.

They arrived no more than five minutes later. The trio had sped through the empty roads and ignored all speed signs they passed, their minds racing with the idea that Stiles was doing something totally insane.

Eleanor spotted the father and son as soon as they arrived at the entrance, her mind yearning for Stiles to stay as she clambered off of Jaden's vehicle and raced towards the duo.

  After the situation at the vetinarian clinic, calls were made. Eleanor made one to Noah Stilinski, who came to pick his son up and take him home at his own risk. The girl also received one from none other than her brothers, notifying her that they were both safe and in good health, as well as Chris which was thanks to Derek for saving his life when the bomb first detonated.

  They didn't expect a call to be made to Eichen.

  With her heart racing in her chest, Eleanor raced to stand directly before the duo, breathless and with a permanent frown etched into her plump lips.

  "Why didn't you tell me?"

  Noah sighed and pulled a sympathetic frown at Eleanor's question. "Because we wanted to avoid something like this. It's only 72 hours."

"This is the same place where Barrow came from." Jaden reminded, grimacing at the building as Eleanor shuddered. "The guy who had a tumor inside him filled with flies."

Scott nodded immediately in agreement, his big brown eyes filled with nothing but worry and suspense for what was about to happen. "You don't know everything yet."

"I know enough." Noah snapped, not harshly but in a soft sort of manner that made him seem nothing but tired from the relentless nightmare that had turned into their life. "Nogitsunes, Kitsunes, Oni, or whatever they're called."

Stiles gave a crooked smile. "Wow, that was actually all surprisingly correct."

"Scott, I saw an MRI that looked exactly like my wife's. And it terrifies me. I'm headed down to L.A. tomorrow to talk to a specialist."