v. fireflies

[ start of fireflies ]

  ELEANOR WAS SICK OF RUNNING. She was sick of running from the enemy, sick of running to save someone, sick of running after something dangerous. However, she wasn't sick of Boyd or Cora, which is exactly why she had been running after them for the past forty five minutes.

  After Allison's run in with Jaden, Derek, Eleanor and Scott, the siblings decided the plan of action would be to find the two uncontrollable betas on foot by their print. Jaden volunteered to stay behind and wait for Scott and Allison's conversation to finish, whilst Eleanor and Derek started their quest.

  It had been easier said than done, to put it simply. Eleanor could tell you of the several times she had nearly caught them, nearly grabbed them and held them down, had them in touching distance - but it would just make her frown. She was so close.

  She had found herself reasonably deep in the woods as it rounded an hour since she had seen the two werewolves at the vault, and Eleanor was running out of hope.

  And then she heard screaming.

  Hesitation out of the question, Eleanor took off towards the source of the high pitched sound, her heart racing at the thought of not being able to catch either her friend or her sister in time. The scream had sounded childlike, adolescent.

  The brunette's eyes widened as she watched a nearby shed lift from the floor. She growled protectively as she spotted two young children, likely under the age of 10; she immediately lurched forward, ripping Boyd away from the wooden contraption, flashing her purple eyes menacingly.

She was prepared for a fight. For bruises, cuts, scrapes and loud growling - but none of those things ever came. Instead, Boyd ran in the opposite direction, away from Eleanor as she stood, heart pounding and breathing heavy. The cold nights air swept it up into an icy, noticeable mist as it gushed out of her mouth.

  She took a step forward and readied herself to follow after the male beta, but stopped herself instantaneously as the door to the shed creaked open, revealing the terrified children once again.

  They gasped and shut the door as soon as they saw her, and Eleanor sighed, her eyes softening as she approached the shed and knocked quietly on the door. She didn't want to startle them, she wanted to keep them safe.

  When there was no reply, Eleanor spoke. "Listen, I know you're scared and you don't know who I am - but I promise that I'm here to keep you safe, okay? How about I walk you home? Yeah? I know this is scary but I just want to help, I pinky promise. Can you come out here so I can pinky promise?"

  And the door started to open. Two small pinky fingers stuck out from behind the door and Eleanor smiled heartily, grasping them in her own pinky finger. "I promise."

  With that, the children came out of hiding and into the cold night's air timidly, grasping onto one another as their wild eyes searched their surroundings.