xxxi. the divine move

[ start of the divine move part one ]

  TRYING TO CALM someone down after experiencing trauma is a very difficult thing to do; even more so when they're bleeding to death, possessed by a demon and have just lost their best friend. Which is exactly why trying to get Eleanor to speak was such an insanely hard task.

  "Eleanor you have to look at me!" Jaden pleaded. He seemed to be the only one that was thinking clearly, though it was far from the truth.

  The young Hale had only experienced pain quite like this when he had unearthed the truth of his older sister Laura being dead. It was something indescribable and he wanted nothing more than to be alone with his thoughts and try his hardest to forget about what had just happened; that wasn't possible though. A possible task was calming his sister down and getting her to explain what they had just witnessed.

  Jaden's hands were planted firmly on Eleanor's shoulders as she sat up on the stony floor, her eyes wide in panic and her nose scrunched up in excruciating pain from the wound replicated on her abdomen. Her face was tear stained and red from the cold winds and she was gasping for air and her body shook from the heart breaking sobs she was emitting.

  "Eleanor listen to me." Her eyes flickered upward and then made contact with Jaden's. "You're okay. It's going to be okay. You need to calm down and explain to us what happened."

  "I- I didn't mean to." She breathed desperately, shaking her head furiously as her eyes searched all of her friends'. Their orbs looked dull and lifeless and Eleanor was paralysed with fear that they would all turn against her when she told the truth.

  "What didn't you mean to do?" Chris questioned, his eyebrows furrowed and his lips pursed into a frown.

  You could see the hurt in his eyes; the pain behind the mask he was putting on. If anything, Eleanor expected Chris to be the most furious - instead, he was calm, collected and stoic. She was scared to tell them the truth but she knew it was more important, now more than ever, and that they had deserved to know all along. Now that she could physically finally find the words to tell them, she knew she had no choice.

  As her breaths paced to a calm and somewhat steady rhythm, Eleanor screwed her eyes tightly shut and blew out a low breath. Tears gathering in her eyes spilt down her cheeks but she made no move to clear them from her skin, ignoring them completely as she opened her eyes to look at her pack. They deserved more than her.

  "I didn't mean for any of this to happen." Her breathing was ragged but her words were coherent and clear to her friends. "I - I'm so sorry."

  "You need to tell us what's been going on, Eleanor."

  The hardening gazes that fell on her made Eleanor flinch, though she nodded and tried to avoid their eye contact to dodge the disappointment a little longer. "It was when the sacrifices happened, a month or so ago. Deaton - he, he told me there would be consequences if we went through with it. If I helped Stiles to sacrifice himself to save his dad, it would trigger my Empathy and connect me to Stiles when the sacrifice took place."