xxiv. letharia vulpina

[ start of letharia vulpina part one ]

WHEN ELEANOR AWOKE from what to seemed to her a deep slumber, she was severely worried, for more than one reason. After blacking out completely and having absolutely no control over her actions, Eleanor feared that she would not be able to remember anything she had done. Now that she was awake, she wished it were the opposite.

Upon returning to a conscious state of mind, Eleanor could remember everything that had happened since she had encountered the bandaged man in the hospital room. The nogitsune. The powerful deity had embodied her, how she wasn't sure, and had watched as the same nogitsune embodied in Stiles wreaked havoc on the hospital grounds.

Electrical wires had been cut and were flying dangerously in the air, some had been drowned in a flood of water and had consequently electrocuted many hospital employees and patients. When watching, Eleanor wanted nothing more than to help the people in need but the deity inside her refused the very thought and watched gleefully as everything fell to pieces.

As she stood in the parking lot, finally awake and conscious in her own body, Eleanor knew. She finally understood what had been happening to both Stiles and herself throughout the tiresome and relentless month after the sacrifices had taken place. The nogitsune had taken refuge in their minds.

Finally able to work her body the way she wanted, Eleanor ran full speed towards a puddle of water that had submerged a naked wire, endangering everyone that stepped near the water. Within seconds she came to an abrupt halt in front of the growing puddle and watched in horror as Isaac pushed Allison to safety and made contact with the electrical waterbed, electrifying the entire of his being.

Scott and Derek arrived by Eleanor's side seconds later and as she opened her mouth to explain everything that she had unearthed about the nogitsune, herself and Stiles, no words came from her mouth. It was physically impossible to tell them the truth. It was as if every time her brain instructed her mouth to open and tell the boys what had happened there was an even heavier convincing that she should keep her mouth shut and tell them nothing.

The more she struggled to find the words to tell them, the more the faint voice in her head manipulated her not to, until she had forgotten that the nogitsune had taken over both her and Stiles completely. All that was left in her mind was the worry she held for Isaac, whom had finally stopped convulsing in the water.

Upon looking up, searching the surroundings for any reason why the electricity had stopped reaching Isaac, Eleanor found Kira stood in the centre of the water, her hands grasping the two limp wires previously laying in the water, her eyes lit with a dim glow from the power surge she had induced upon herself to put an end to the working electricity.

Impulsively, now that the electricity had been removed from the water, Eleanor took a beeline straight toward Isaac, lurching for him on the ground and reaching him within seconds.

  As soon as she was knelt beside him and could channel her heading into focusing on Isaac's heartbeat, Eleanor whipped her head to look at her friends, alarmed and scared. So scared.

  "He's not breathing!"

....

  THE next day, Eleanor awoke in the McCall household. After Isaac had fallen unconscious and mayhem struck the hospital, everything had melted into absolute chaos and the young Hale had been here there and everywhere trying to fix things. She had ended up at Scott's after the whole ordeal, where they had spent the majority of the night speaking over things and trying to make sense of the situation.