Leaving

Astrid's POV

It has been about a year since Hiccup last wrote to me. It's almost time for him to come back to Berk. I have wrote him so many letters saying how worried I am but he never writes back. I was walking into the clubhouse with Cami and Ruff. The boys have decided to celebrate our victory over Viggo. 

"Were in Thor's name have you been?!" Snotlout yells when he sees us.

"We just came back from Wingmaiden island. We meet with Atali to tell her about Viggo. We also created a new alliance" I said.

"With who and why? We defeated Viggo and already have an alliance with the Berserkers, and the Wingmaidens. Not to mention we have the A-team back on Berk" Fishlegs comments

"Yeah we don't need anyone else. We're totally fine." Snotlout said. Then he comes up to me. "But if your worried about your safety Astrid, I can protect you"

I look at him then elbow him in the gut "Look I know we already have a lot of help. But the A-team is to protect Berk we can't risk them leaving. Dagur is too far away. Plus they are still reconstructing after the last attack. I won't ask him to use any of his soldiers at their state now. So that leaves the Wingmaidens. They are also in a bad place after Viggo attacked them. We need help. Not to mention that Viggo seems to have a partner and I don't remember getting rid of him."

"We were able to fight Viggo without anyone before remember? So we can take on this sandman" Tuff chimed in

"That isn't entirely accurate Tuff. There was that other group." Cami points out walking up to her boyfriend

"Oh you mean Hiccup's group. Why don't we ask them to help. Astrid, you can send Hiccup a letter or something" Snotlout said cluelessly

"What do you think I've been doing for the past year?!" I yell at him "I have been trying to write to him but has he written back? NO! He dropped off the face of the Earth. It's like he forgot about me....about all of us. He hope he found someone better!" Ruff and Cami put their arms around me. 

"Hey look a Terrible Terror." Tuff shouts. The dragon lands on top of my head. I pry it off and take that note off and open it.

"If that's another letter from Viggo's man I swear I am going to send him to Valhalla myself" Snotlout shouts storming around the clubhouse. We have recently received multiple letters from Viggo's partner. We either don't pay any attention after reading them or send them back.

"It's not from him" I said looking at it.

"Is it from Hiccup?" Fishlegs asks hopefully.

"No. It's my letter to....Hiccup....." 

The others all gasp. 

 "Wait does this mean......?" Ruff starts

"No it can't be" I start pacing around the room "No no no. He can't be no way." I look at the others who all look sad.

"No he can't be dead. He promised me that he would come back." I cried. We were getting ready to go back to Berk and see Hiccup.

"Astrid..." Cami starts. The others come up to me and hug me. I have to admit it feels good knowing that these guys won't leave me.

"I need some rest." I go over to Stormfly and head to my hut. Once I get there I lay on my bed. Look at the small axe next to my bed. Hiccup made it for me when I was 8 for my birthday. It was the best one. When he gave it to me he said, 'This will represent our friendship forever'. When I told my parents and his dad they laughed and said that Hiccup always thought about more than a friend. The memory fades. I start to remember a song. One that his mom used to sing to us when we were little.

I start to sing it under my breath (Play song below)

"I remember tears streaming down your face
When I said, "I'll never let you go."
When all those shadows almost killed your light
I remember you said, "Don't leave me here alone,"
But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight

Just close your eyes
The sun is going down
You'll be alright
No one can hurt you now
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound

Don't you dare look out your window, darling.
Everything's on fire
The war outside our door keeps raging on
Hold on to this lullaby
Even when the music's gone
Gone"
I get this feeling like Hiccup is with me.

"Just close your eyes
The sun is going down
You'll be alright
No one can hurt you now
Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound"

Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
La, la (la, la)
La, la (la, la)
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
La, la (la, la)

"Just close your eyes
You'll be alright
Come morning light,
You and I'll be safe and sound..." I can hear him singing in my head and feel his presence. I get out of my bed and run to the clubhouse were the other guys are.

"I need to go!" 

"Oh my Thor! What is going on?!" Snotlout shouts throwing up his arms.

"I need to go" I repeat. "Hiccup is alive. I need to find him"

"Whoa calm down Astrid. How do you this?" Cami said trying to calm me down.

"I just do."

"Astrid, I know that having your letter returned to you must have freaked you out but..."

"But nothing. Cami, I need to go. I don't care if you don't want me to. You can't stop me from finding Hiccup."

"She does have a point Cami. If anyone can find Hiccup it's her." Fishlegs said.

"Ok fine but at least let me go with you Astrid" Cami said going over to Fjord 

"I need to come too. He's my cousin and no matter how much he got on my nerves I still want him back." Snotlout said getting on Hookfang

"No I need to go alone." I put my hand on Cami's shoulder and look at Snotlout. "I will come back with him a promise "

"He's my cousin. I am going with you." 

I walk up to him. "No you are not Snotlout. You will go back to Berk and wait to see if he comes back." We have a stare off until he gives in. I turn to Fishlegs. "Give this to Stoick please." I give him a letter "It explains everything"

"Make sure the chief doesn't take his anger out on them. If he has a problem, tell him to write to me and I will come back." She nods. 

The sun is starting set. I'm standing next to Stormfly securing bags to her back. I turn and see Cami and the other standing behind her. They all hug me at the same time. I probably would have resisted if it was different but I know that it might be awhile before I see them again.

When the pull back I look at them "Thank you guys for understanding why I need to go alone."

"Well we wouldn't have been able to stopped you." Tuff comments trying to lighten the mood.

We all chuckle. "You guys mean everything to me. And yes even you Snotlout. I will come back with Hiccup. I promise." 

Cami hands me my axe and hugs me again "Thank you for understanding." I whisper 

"Anything for you." Cami whispers back then goes over to Stormfly and asks her to take care of me.

"I will do my best. She is Astrid too stubborn for her own good." My dragon replies.

"Really girl? You supposed to be on my side" I say to her as a get on Stormfly's back. She just squawks in response.

I say goodbye one more time and fly away on Stormfly.