Someone New

Astrid's POV

I have absolutely no idea where to go so I start flying in the direction the Terros go.

We have been flying for a long time the sun has already set. I can tell Stormfly is tired and the extra weight of my bags doesn't help

"There is an island just ahead, girl. Only a little longer" I reassure her. Once we land I take my bags and her saddle so she can rest. I walk around to see if it's safe. I find a cave for us to rest in. Stormfly helps start a fire and I get dinner for the both of us.

While we are eating I hear a sound coming from the back of the cave. It sounds like low growl. I take a stick from the fire and walk towards it. Stormfly is right behind me. When we make it to the end of the tunnel I see a dragon that looks familiar but I have never seen this kind before.

I immediately think that the dragon is a Night Fury but she is white not black. When she sees me she growls and tries to stand up but falls. I slowly walk towards her as I do the white dragon looks behind her and sees realizes that she is now against the wall. She opens her mouth and shoots at me. Stormfly jumps in front of me to block the blast. The blast just misses her. 

The dragon sees Stormfly protect me and relaxes a little. I take this chance to walk a little closer.

"Hey girl. It's ok. I'm a friend. I'm not going to hurt you. Don't worry." I continue to speak to her in dragonese which calms her down. Once I am about arms length away I reach out my hand and close my eyes. I feel her press her nose to my hand. 

Stormfly calms down and comes closer. She places her head under the other dragon's and tries to help her stand up. The fury wines and falls to the ground. I look at her one of her front leg and see that it is has been badly injured. Then I notice that she has scratches all over her. 

"What happened?" I ask her

"I got into a fight with a female Nightmare over this cave. I won but I hurt my leg in the process and can hardly walk. I can't fly either"  She opens her wing and underneath there are scratches and bad burns. 

 I go back to where my bags are in the front of the cave and bring them back to where the dragons are. 

"Ok here's what's going to happen Stormfly you are going to stay with...." I trail off and look at the white dragon. 

"I don't have a name" She said when I paused 

"Ok. Uh... Can I call you Valkyrie?" (This is a Scandinavian name meaning 'chooser of the slain'. A Valkyrie is a female warrior in Norse Mythology who was sent by Odin to choose warriors who are worthy to go to Valhalla.) She nods her head.

"Ok Stormfly you will stay here with Valkyrie. I am going to find something to help with the cuts and the burns on her wing." I leave the cave and start looking for some herbs to help her.

After a while I find what I am looking for I head back to the cave. I put the leaves in some water and then make a paste. I put it on the scratches and make a brace for Valkyrie's leg. As for her wing I'm not sure what to do. I sprinkle some water on it and try to clean the burns. After that I put some more paste on the burns. I get some fish for Valkyrie and some chicken for Stormfly. 

We tell Valkyrie our whole story and I ask if she had seen a boy riding a Night Fury. 

"There is a Night Fury?! I thought I was the last of our species!" 

"So... I'm going to guess you haven't seen them."

"No" Valkyrie said sadly. Stormfly cuddles next to her. The two dragons quickly fall asleep. I lay down in between them and fall asleep.