29

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

Everthing turned dark the moment the guy that Tanya called Joshua pulled her from me as if he owned her. I didn't realize it was possible for me to be very jealous, that was why it took me a while to realize that I've beaten him hard, which made him resort to using a knife at me. I didn't fear the knife he was holding. All I could think of was to beat him and break his bones.

I only came to my senses when Tanya shielded me from him, and she got stabbed on the arm. I felt bad that she did that for me, and I wasn't sure how I was going to respond to her. I just kept quiet the whole time as she was attended by the nurses and a doctor in the ER, while Joshua and his father stayed with Tanya's Mom and brother.

The doctor told me that Tanya could go home tonight, but I decided to just get a hospital suite for her and stay here so that the doctor could see her. Tanya protested, but I still insisted for her to stay in the hospital. I also got her Mom and brother a hospital suite while we all await for her father's recovery.

Tanya is now resting in the adjoined hospital bed, where we would sleep for tonight. I was still pissed because of Joshua. I could have beaten him up, if Tanya didn't intervened, during our fight.

I sighed in frustration as I looked at the window, watching the city lights. I just focused on the things I should do, as I am anticipating that I would stay in the Philippines for a couple of days to formally introduce myself to Tanya's family.

I just made some calls in Brazil to inform Papai and my brothers that I am here in the Philippines. They were surprised that I am here, but they didn't pry so much. They just know me well that they wouldn't get any information from me, if I didn't want to. As I ended the call, there was another overseas incoming call. Thinking it was my executive assistant, I immediately answered the call. I heard a woman's voice. It was Isabella's voice.

"Matteo," I heard excitement in her voice. I could tell that the excitement I felt from her was that of a woman missing someone dear to her. In a way, it pinched my heart to think that I couldn't reciprocate the kind of feelings that she has for me. I just wished that I could, but I can't, because I see her as a sister, and nothing more than that. Besides, I love someone else. I love Tanya.

"Isabella! Where have you been?" I sincerely felt relieved that Isabella was okay especially that I am aware of her condition; and being a brother to her, I even told her the efforts that Uncle Leonardo and I have made to search for her. "Uncle Leonardo and I have been looking for you."

"I just went hotel hopping because I didn't want Papai to find me." She answered.

"You shouldn't have done that. You're pregnant!" I tried to stop myself from scolding her, especially that in her condition, I am aware that she was sensitive. "Isabella," I sighed. "What you are doing is dangerous for you and the baby." I reminded calmly.

"You seem so concerned, Matt. Does it mean you care about me and the baby?" She asked sarcastic.

"Isabella..." I sighed. "You know I care about you. And I care about your baby. You're my sister and... "

"Enough!" She interrupted. "I don't want to hear about me being your sister! If you won't care for me as your fiancée, your wife, or the mother of your child, then I'm going to give up this baby I'm carrying. I'm opting for abortion! And if this baby still lives inside of me, then I'm going to give this up for adoption!"

"What are you saying?" I asked, shocked at her statement.

"I don't want this baby if I won't have you, too!" She was screaming on the phone. "What, Matteo? You decide now. I want you to decide now! Do you want to have this baby or not? If I won't have you, I don't want this baby, too!"

"Don't hurt the baby!" I paced back and forth, but I was careful not to wake Tanya with my hurried pace. I was feeling stressed with the insane demands Isabella was pulling on me.

"Then, marry me!" She demanded.

"I... I can't do that." I felt helpless." I am married." I informed her.

She turned quiet on the other line.

"Are you still there, Isabella?" I asked.

I heard her sob, and my heart ached for her, despite the things she was putting me thru.

"Did you marry that Filipina you met in the US? Did you marry her in Dubai?"

"How did you know that? Did you send somebody to follow me around?" I choked my anger in my throat, as I didn't want her to have a clue of how much I just wanted to tie her to a chair to shut her up and stop all her ridiculous and dangerous ideas just to force me to love her.

"Matteo, I am Leonardo La Torre's daughter." She reminded. "I have my ways of finding out things I want to know..." she said in a threatening way.

I felt my anger growing, and I was already having the idea of her intention for stalking me in Dubai with Tanya. "Did you have anything to do with the guy who tried to drown Tatanya in the hotel room at Dubai?"

She was quiet for a moment. All I could hear was her breathing. "Yes," she admitted.

I was shocked and felt goose bumps on my skin because I never thought she was capable of hiring a killer to end someone's life. I ran my fingers through my hair and paced the floor.

"Have you gone mad, Isabella? Do you want to get jailed?" I angrily asked.

"I'm close to that, Matt..." I heard a shiver in her voice. "I'm close to turning crazy because of you! You ruined everything for me! I wasn't supposed to get pregnant, but you broke my heart!"

"I don't understand you, Isabella." I was frustrated with her. "What are you talking about? How did I ruin everything for you?"

"Matteo, I've loved you practically all my life! I just can't give you up to some Filipina! I swear that if you don't come to Brazil... if you don't live with me as my husband... if you don't leave her... I'm going to end her life.... and I'm going to give this baby up if you don't come back two days from now, so you better leave... Now." She demanded, and hang up the phone.