49

CHAPTER FORTY NINE

I couldn't believe my eyes. Tanya was here in this fortress! Now it was not only our son and myself whom I have to save, but I have to save Tanya, too!

I have to save my whole family! Suddenly, I felt like I'm the most helpless human being on earth. It felt like being buried alive, six feet under, and I couldn't do anything about it. I felt suppressed and helpless. I felt so frustrated and powerless.

My family was in trouble, and the painful part was that I felt powerless to save them, as I was also trapped here.

"How do I save my family now?" I asked myself suddenly afraid, unprepared, and helpless. "I have to save my family, but how? How do I save them when I am also trapped here? Mae, pls pray for us to the Almighty Father..." my mind whispered to the heavens.

There was chaos inside my head as I tried to think of possible ways to save my family.

Isabella... make her believe you love her. The only way to save your wife and son is to deceive Isabella. I could hear it in my head. A part of me was thinking of this as I tried to sort out possible ways we could escape Isabella and this fortress.

No! No! No! Don't do it, Matteo! Please. I felt like Tanya was objecting in my head. Please don't do it because it will hurt me! I could even hear the way she would sob. And her sobs were like a spear that pierced through my heart.

How? What shall I do? How could I save them? I felt tormented knowing that I am the husband and father of this woman and child, and I couldn't do anything to protect them!

"Love," I felt Tanya's hand on my face. "Wake up," she tenderly said.

That's when I opened my eyes and saw my beautiful angel. I realized that because of my anxiety, I was planning and thinking of ways to save my family even if I was asleep.

Tanya solemnly looked at me, and I felt calm. She touched my face and I kissed the fingers that touched my skin. I reached out for her and stared at her mesmerizing beauty.

"You were dreaming, love." She softly whispered. "What was it?" she worriedly asked.

I was undecided whether to tell her of my plan or not knowing that she might not agree with me. But what could I do? I have to save them. I have to make sure they would be safe from here, even if I would have to get left behind.

I sighed and caressed her cheek. I saw a glint of sadness in her eyes, as she rested her face on my palm. "Were you having a bad dream?" she calmly whispered as she touched my face too, trying to soothe me.

I just stared at her, memorizing every detail of her beautiful angelic face, while she was still on top of me, and we shared her blanket to cover ourselves. After we made love in the bathroom, we satisfied our yearning for each other in her small bed, until I fell asleep.

"You were muttering something...." she whispered, as she continued to caress my face. "But I couldn't understand it..."

How could I begin to tell her my apprehension with the thought that we might not be able to get out of here alive if we don't play it right?

We have to convince Isabella that Bobbie wasn't a threat to her, and I had to convince Isabella that I was starting to fall in love with her.

But I don't know how to start explaining it to Tanya that the only thing I could come up with in order to save her and Timothy was to exert more effort to convince Isabella that I was already in love with her.

And as I would play that part, I expect Tanya to look away... to not watch me do it because I didn't want her to get hurt. I don't want to see her hurting. I don't want to see her in pain.... Or angry with me. I wouldn't just be able to bear it because I love her. I love her so much that whatever she would feel, I would feel it more, because I would be the one causing the pain. But if what I would do would save her and our son, I would do it. I would pretend that I love Isabella, and she must understand it. Tanya must understand that I would do this because I love her and Timothy, not for anything else. It was her that I love with my life, not Isabella.