42

CHAPTER FORTY TWO

Hay! Kung nasasampal lang ang puso, sinampal ko na ang puso ko! Pesteng puso, nababaliw na naman kay Matteo! Hindi pwede 'to! Kailangan mapigilan ko ang sarili ko. Isip isip din pag may time! Di porket may nangyari na naman sa'min ni Matteo, dapat pagkatiwalaan ko na siya ng buhay ko. Who knows baka nililinlang lang niya ako dahil may kailangan siya sa akin. Paano kung kailangan lang niyang makuha ang anak ko, at iiwan din niya ako para kay Isabela. Kasi in the first place naman, si Isabela na ang nauna sa puso mo, masaklap mang aminin ito sa sarili ko. Pero nang sumakay kami sa truck at narinig ko ang kantang 'No Other Love', something changed in me...

"No other love can warm my heart. Now that I've known the comfort of your arms. No other love, oh the sweet contentment that I find with you. Every time, every time. No other lips, could want you more. For I was born to glory in your kiss, forever yours. I was blessed with love to love you. Till the stars burn out above you..."

Para akong nanonood ng lumang pelikula na gawa ng Sampaguita pictures, habang nakatingin sa mga babae't lalaking nagso-slow dance sa paborito kong kanta na 'No Other Love'. It's my wedding theme song. And everyone was happily watching me dance with my groom. Although I knew there were other ladies in the room that were not happy that he got married to me, those ladies could not do anything. I somehow knew I was the lucky one, because he loved me.

I looked up, curious to know who my groom was. It seemed as though I momentarily spaced out, and couldn't quiet remember where I was or who I was dancing with. I felt panicked and looked up to see that beautiful man I fell in love with. The man who was only a boy when he left to study in Europe and was engaged to be betrothed to a woman who was as rich as he. But, he fought for his love for me, and came back to ask for my hand in marriage. His family agreed and accepted me, so here we are now. We are happily dancing to our wedding song.

Nakaramdam ako ng kilig nang makita ko ang pamilyar na mga matang iyon ni Matteo. But his name was not Matteo.

"Sebastian..." I recalled that was his name... at this time and year. It's 1953.

"Yes, my love?" He smiled. I could see the peace and happiness in his eyes as we stared in each other's eyes.

"I just want to thank you." I said. "Thank you for choosing me... for loving me despite the years that we've been apart."

He smiled at me. "No one and nothing can keep us apart now, my love." He said it like a promise, and I believed him.

We embraced each other tight, when suddenly I felt him stop dancing. I felt warm liquid flow out from his back, and raised my hand to see Red liquid trickling on my fingers. I heard screams, and I blocked suddenly blocked out. When I opened my eyes, I realized we were on the floor. He was reaching his hand for me, and shouting.

"No, Mary! No!" He looked up and begged. Sinundan ko kung saan siya nakatingin at nakitang may babaeng nakaluhod sa aking harapan. That's when I realize I was lying flat on the floor, with my White wedding gown splattered with blood, as I was gasping for air. I looked at her in shock and confusion. She seemed familiar, but I couldn't guess who she was. It seemed like it was the first time I saw her.

She had a beautiful but dark face. It seemed like she was so angry and merciless, as she stared at me. Then, she pointed a gun that she was holding on my forehead, and I heard a bang.

Somehow, I knew she shot me, but I couldn't move. It was just dark, and I was afraid.

Slowly, light was appearing and I saw a figure of a woman. Somehow, I knew it was me.