Finding Minako

When I feel it's clean enough I drape it over a low hanging branch. The chilly air nips at my bare skin, used to it or not, this is not warm. To take my mind off of it, I close my eyes and listen to the sounds of the river and dwindling wildlife.

   I could stay this way forever. I might just become a monk and spend my life meditating. Though, don't think I could ever become a vegetarian. Born and raised as a hunter means meat was a heavy part of my diet. Not so much now, but it's still present.

   I open my eyes and look for any animals near by. It has been awhile since I trained my senses. When I was younger it was the hardest part of training. It was decided that in place of Alice, the twins would teach me to use my senses. Alice was too, how to say, loud, when it came to teaching and for a skill fully directed towards listening she didn't make the cut.

   The twins excelled in everything heavily dependant on senses. Sight, sound, everything. I always believed it was because of their twin connection. In my mind it was obvious they were so skilled in hearing the calls of animals and seeing even the smallest movement in shrubs. They experienced everything in double.

   Now with my eyes open I focus on a single point infront of me. I have to focus on every detail of the sight I'm seeing and identify each movement within my line of vision. Simultaneously I have to identify each sound I hear and the approximate distance it is from me.

   The river is flowing and the shadows that move across the water are fish or shade cast by the moon. I didn't notice the sun had already set. After this I should go back, my shirt should be dry by then.

   I focus harder on the shadows over the water. Labeling each as fish or shadow by the way they moved. I couldn't see any animals, but the branches shook with their weight. Keeping the sights in mind I focused on the noises. The river rushing infront of me, the squirrels chasing each other just above me, maybe 7 meters.

   The grass rustling and snow crumbling beneath the weight of a large bird around 10 meters away. Probably a turkey. The same crumbling sound behind me. I blink the dryness from my eyes and turn around.

   Some several feet away Obi is walking toward me. I shoot up and rip my shirt from the branch. It is dry, but cold as I put it on.

   "You were gone for while, Yuki. I almost started to worry." He twits.

   "I didn't think you were capable of that, Nanaki."

   "I surprised myself too."

   We start laughing as we walk back to where we set camp for the night. The rabbits were already cooking over the nice fire Obi made.

   "I don't have to do anything!" I cheer. I'm assuming it was Obi who cleaned the rabbits and cut them properly. "Thank you Nanaki."

   "No problem, I had to do my part after you killed them. I was losing my job as caretaker."

   "Were you ever the caretaker?" I prod him.

   "Who made the fire and meal for tonight?!"

   "That's fair." I concede, "And we thank you for that."

   Kokoro chimes in too, "O-oh, yes thank you, Nanaki, and you too, y/- Yuki."

   For barely a moment I freeze before returning to normal. He heard the name before, so he got confused. That's understandable.

   We eat in silence. There is not much to talk about. Especially because we can't really talk about our mission with Kokoro here. When we finish Obi proposes we have watches.