Free

"I'll put it simpler. If you aren't doing everything in your power to win, that means whoever ends up as chief didn't earn it."

   "You really know what buttons to push to get your way, don't you?"

   "That depends on what you say next." His tone is one of indifference, but I've known him too long to fall for it. He's on the edge of his seat.

   "I'm in it to win, count on me." It will be hard to say goodbye to everyone though.

   "I figured as much."

   I jerk back as the carriage stops suddenly. The idiot prince wasn't lying when he said it was a new coachman.

   "Masaru isn't too good at that is he?"

   "Good enough to convince you it was his job."

   I hum admitting defeat.

   The door opens and Masaru peers in, "They're here, we don't have much time." He spares a glance to me before he walks away, leaving the door open.

   "What's the probability of your son despising me?" I say as Tsuyoshi tosses me over his shoulder like a sack of flour.

   "Low."

   I can't help but disagree. I would hate me under the same circumstances.

   Tsuyoshi greets whoever the people are. All I can see is his back because of the way he's carrying me, but between the tied limbs and broken ankle, there isn't much I can do about it.

   "Yes, thank you it would have been problematic if it wasn't her." Tsuyoshi says to them. "And thank you for providing this."

   With that he sets me down and seconds later bars close in my face. It's an open wagon with a cage set in the middle. It's small.

   "What is this?"

   "Slave transport. We are about to leave Tanbarun borders and the neighboring kingdom allows slavery. This way is less conspicuous. The Tanbarun royal carriage would have guards hounding us the moment it's spotted."

   Tsuyoshi turns back to the people. My eyes widen in shock when I see a familiar face.

   "Koroko?! I knew you couldn't be trusted."

   "I-i'm sorry."

   There's a man standing next to him who could pass as his twin had he been thirty years younger. I get it, his father got them this wagon, but what did Koroko do? When he was with us he didn't do anything.

   "Mr Tsuyoshi, what was Koroko's role?"

   "When we heard the rumor a prince gained an ally of unknown origins, I wanted to be sure it was you. Luckily your friend slipped up or you would've gotten away."

   "Oh man, I will never let him live this down when I see him later." Wait, "why use him if you knew I wouldn't recognize Masaru?" At the mention of his name Masaru turns his head to me. His entire demeanor is different from when he was the coachman. I can't tell his emotions, just like his father.

   I smile at the resemblance, not realizing we held eye contact until he looks away. Yup, I weirded him out.

   "I didn't know, you're perceptive when you want to be." He passes a good sized pouch of coins to Koroko's father and another to Koroko. He spins on his heal to me "gimme your hands."

   I stick my hands through the bars and he undoes the ropes. I go to untie my ankles and see for the first time the damage. My dark pant leg is coated in dry blood and my boot must've been taken off when he was wrapping it. My ankle is angled a way I wish it wasn't and I'm suddenly very aware of the pain.