In Your Eyes

My universal truths account for nothing. She's shattered my entire world.

   I don't know why I'm surprised. Alice has always been an outlier. The more I think about it the more I want to laugh. I should've seen something like this coming especially from her.

   I'm coughing over my sobs. I think about what she said and feel like throwing up again. She doesn't even feel guilty.

   A hand placed on my back causes me to turn around. He doesn't say anything, but he's calming. I straighten myself and we start walking back to castle grounds. The sooner guards go after her the better.

   By the time we get to the gates I've stopped crying. The hiccups that taste like sick are still there. The guards' eyes go wide and I don't blame them.

   "M-miss y/n?!" The one makes no visible effort in hiding his confusion and worry.

  "There is a dangerous woman who ran south, get a party to go after her. She has every intention to kill." Obi orders.

   The word 'kill' makes me more light headed than before. He's talking about Alice and I can't defend her. She's actually a murderer now.

   The one guard runs off and Obi ushers me inside. My feet are moving but it doesn't feel like it. Actually, I don't feel anything. I should be in pain, right? I have a cut on my shoulder, throat, face, and a gash on my head, but I feel none of it. I should at least feel the blood running over me, but again, I don't.

   It's amazing, how light you feel when you're happy is the same feeling you get when everything around you falls apart. But it's so different.

   Obi pulls my arm and I look up to see guards running from every direction, Obi's trying to keep me out of their way. I don't want anyone to see me this way, but that's not enough motivation to pretend I'm okay either.

   When I was younger I would say "I shouldn't feel sad because other people are worse off." But mother always answered that with "and there are people better off, and those exactly the same. You are not relative, just because someone might be different doesn't change what you're feeling" after a few times of that I've always said what's on my mind and tried to never hide my emotions.

   That ended up biting me now. I don't want anyone to see me like this, but I can't hide it like I used to.

   We walk into the herbalists' hall and Ryuu is the first to see. He looks shocked, and I feel bad. A little kid shouldn't have to see something so horrifying.

   "I'll tell Shirayuki!" He said and ran off ahead of us. By the time we got to Shirayuki, she had her supplies out. Cleaning alcohol, bandages, and what not.

   He sits me down in a chair and I daze while Shirayuki cleans my cuts. She's talking to me, but most of it is lost to me.

   "This might hurt." She dabs a cloth on my shoulder. I don't feel it. I wouldn't even know it was happening if I wasn't watching it. "It's a good thing none of these are too deep."

   I want to forget everything about Alice. "Miss Shirayuki. . ."

   "Yes!" She says a bit too optimistic at the fact I'm talking.

   "Blueberries and oak roots will help them."

   "What?"

   "The guards, it's what we used at the village."

   "A-alright." I can see her spare a nervous look to Obi. It says 'Tell me what happened later'. I don't care.

   She puts a bandage on my cheek and says she's finished. Ryuu, who had been helping Shirayuki, came back into the room. I don't remember him leaving. He hands me food and says to eat slowly. I smile and thank him for it.