Second Promise

"I promise, Chiho!"

   . . .

   "I wonder if she remembers." I watch her go.

   "Remembers what?"

   "Nevermind me."

   If she's headed that way, then she's been tracking me, well, for a long while. How long is the question and has she been to the castle.

   Three hunters have been after me: Tsuyoshi, Masaru, and now Chiho. Tsuyoshi and Masaru said they'd quit going after me and Kenta has been caught so his hunter is done. Only two others are out there.

   Now that I know I don't have that many people to dodge and two months left, It will be easier to not get caught. Plus the two left should be after Alice and Daichi. Do the hunters know about Jiro? I shake my head vigorously, I'm not supposed to mourn him anymore.

   "Prince, that woman is going to follow us, but poses no threat to you."

   "And?"

   "What do you want me to do?"

   He looks back at Chiho, then to me. "No threat to me, it is not my choice."

   I don't want to face her, because then she'd know she's on the right trail. Regardless she's going to go to that castle, find no one there, and remember this carriage to follow back.

   I sigh and stand up. "I'll catch up, I don't sense anyone else around, you will be safe." I open the door and jump without it stopping, just happy to get on stable land.

   I'm going to cover our tracks. . . She's already seen the carriage go this way. I jump into the trees to chase after the carriage. At the next fork in the road, I'll cover the tracks and make it look like it turned the opposite way.

   We're already a good way aways from the castle, so I should have plenty of time to do this. That being said, I will be on high alert.

   At the sudden presence I misstep and almost fall, luckily he's there to catch me.

   "Mr Obi, you're a handful."

   "I saw you get out, was that woman a huntress?"

   "Yeah," I explain my plan and why I'm avoiding combat. When I finish I say "I'm just happy to be running like this. It's suffocating being with Izana."

   "Where do you stand in the green as of now?"

   "I'm going to break a few promises and make sure Hiraku wins. After that I won't be able to stay at the village." Right, it is breaking not only my promise to Tsuyoshi, but to Chiho as well. I know that, but I can't help but be happy I get to stay with Mr Obi, "I'll be able to work for Zen full-time. Assuming he'll still want me."

   "You like being an aide?" For the first half there was a happy fluctuation in his voice.

   "Of course I do. It pays well and I get to be around you."

   "Me?"

   "And Mr Mitsuhide, Miss Kiki, Miss Shirayuki, and Zen. You're all like my second family, so maybe I won't miss mine as much."

   ". . . You do deserve to win."

   "You sound apprehensive about that." I laugh.

   "Ah! My true feeling are coming through." He laughs, "I'll miss you if you leave."

   "I'll ignore your flirting."

   We go for a little longer until we come to the fork. We jump from the trees.