First Reform

"Who?"

   Nurse is at a loss of words. "You shouldn't have any amnesia."

   "I don't, but Obi is outside the door right now."

   He comes in, looking pissed. "That was a bad joke, y/n!" I can't hold my laughter. "How did you know I was there?"

   ". . . Good question." I just knew. I didn't sense him, I just knew he was there.

   He's wearing native to the village. He must've gotten blood on himself from the incident, I feel oddly guilty despite it being out of my control. I also am surprised everyone is giving him so much hospitality, considering the rumors of the outside and him being the first outsider since forever.

   Nurse laughs awkwardly before saying, "Anyways, the Chief wants to know when you'll be up to holding the ceremony."

   "Hiraku waited for me?" For five months, I almost can't believe it.

   "Huh? Yeah, all of them did. They can't leave until you're pronounced chief."

   "Me? Hiraku said he won."

   "Hiraku lied." She says bluntly.

   I look at Obi, he doesn't look surprised. They must've told him.

   How can I get out of this? "But I was carried in. By an outsider at that!"

   "Y/n, you're the new chief. You won the green."

   "Brother Hiraku would be a far better fit."

   "Y/n, you won the green, it's non-negotiable. I'll tell your father to set it up for today. I'm assuming you want it to be sooner than later."

   "I'd rather it never, I have obligations to the outside now."

   "You had obligations here first." She walks away and before shutting the door, "Don't let your father hear you say such things."

   The door closes leaving Obi and me in silence. I expected him to Look sad or even angry. I told him I'd return to Clarines, but now I'm stuck here.

   "Obi-" I wanted to ask him what he thought, but before I got it out he was kneeling next to the bed hugging me.

   "You stopped breathing." He mumbles into my stomach.

   I run my fingers through his hair, "Brother Hiraku told me. And I told you not to follow me."

   He pulls away, still kneeling infront of me, "If I hadn't you wouldn't have made it."

   "You need to stop worrying about me so much."

   "You need to worry about yourself more."

   I scratch my head, "Yeah, you're probably right about that."

   He fills me in on everything noteworthy from the past five months. Alice was buried where she lay, not cremated, not mourned. In the eyes of the village, she was simply banished.

   Daichi was pardoned for his crimes, for he did not murder her. She was banished, not killed.

   And by the end of the day today, I will be chief. Barred from leaving the village. Obi will be asked to leave, but it's not going to be a request. If he doesn't leave he will be 'escorted' out. I'll never see him again.

   A knock on the door is followed by father popping his head. "Sir, give us a moment."

   Obi looks at me and I nod, for the next few hours he's the chief and we need to do what he says. Father walks in fully to let Obi pass and shuts the door behind himself.