Remember Me

The warmth faltered.

"Yessir! I'm going to wish everyone farewell today. I can't be waking them up at dawn tomorrow."

. . .

Zen first, I need to know if he needs anything of me before I leave too. I rap at his door until he calls for me to enter. Obi is trailing me.

"Master, is there anything you need me to do before tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow?" He asks more quizzically than I would prefer.

"Yes, I am leaving tomorrow for the village."

"Ah, right. No I have nothing." He waves me off.

"Okay! Then, goodbye." He mumbles a quick bye. We leave the room. "That hurt my feelings a little." I say with fake hurt in my voice.

"He was just busy."

"Isn't that what I'm supposed to help with?"

". . .yes."

"Pfft-"

We walk around looking for Kiki and Mitsuhide. They're allusive when not by Zen's side.

We walk through the entire castle, not a single one of them in sight. I'm getting a little sad. I was hoping to give my best to them, because I may not make it back.

No, I still don't plan on winning, but I plan on fighting Alice if it looks like she's about to win. I don't have the heart to kill her, so she may get to me first.

That's the reason I'm leaving earlier than necessary. I need to make sure to be ready by the last day of the year. If Alice gets there first, the treachery won't be as easily stopped.

Obi bumped the top of my head with his fist. "Stop."

"What?"

"You're thinking about it again. The same way-"

"I've been the past month." I finish for him. He's right, too. The moment the end of the green became real, Alice was a constant thought. More than she was before. He's called me out on it almost every time. It's like he always knows what I'm thinking.

A wild Kiki appeared before us. She was running down the hall. When she spotted us, she ran faster.

"Miss Kiki?" I ask following her movements as she ran passed us.

She stops and turns to run back to us. "What?" She's breathing heavily trying to catch her breath and keep up her composure.

"I wanted to say bye before tomorrow."

"It has been good working with you. I hope you do well, or not. Whichever you're going for now." She says before starting to run again.

"I don't know what I was expecting." Obi and I start walking again, this time in search of only Mitsuhide.

"A party?"

"What's a party?"

"I can't believe you're going back already. You need to learn so much more." He shakes his head, "It's like a festival."

I nod, mouthing 'oh'.

We searched the castle, it was luck Kiki came before we left. Now we're going to see if Mitsuhide is training soldiers or practicing.

There aren't many places they go, in theory finding them shouldn't be as hard as it's proving to be.

"Mr Obi!" I shout as he takes the single step out of the outdoor corridor. He whips around, expecting to see something wrong. I grab his arm and pull him back up the step. I point to the nearest tree, "Let's race."