Practicing With a Sword

"What do you mean?"

"We have to see where you stand when it comes to being a guard or Aide, however you want to call yourself." Zen said. I gave him another curious look so he would explain more. "Kiki and Mitsuhide here are quite skilled with swords. Obi is best with hand to hand combat and a bow and arrow. Along with other weapons that I'm not so sure of." Obi smiled at his tone.

"Oh, I understand. I can use daggers and a bow and arrow." I said in a heavy tone. I've been using a tone heavily laced with confidence because it is a good way to convince people you actually are.

They led me back to the room and said they would come in the morning to start testing me.

. . .

There was a light knock on the door and I groggily walked over and opened it. "Good Morning, Y/n!" Shirayuki greeted me. She handed me some clothes. "Change into these and I'll go tell them you're awake."

"Okay, Miss Shirayuki."

The clothes were strange. It was a rather decadent shirt with plain black pants. Along with it was a pair of boots. Far different from my usual clothing which were all around plain and loose.

There was another knock on the door, this time it was Zen and company. They led me to eat and when I finished Zen said. "Okay, come with me." I followed Zen again, this time into a room that was mostly outside. It was cold and the new clothing seemed far more suited to these temperatures than mine. I suppose that is why I had a fever in the first place.

The room was large and had many stands with wooden weapons in it. "Here." Obi picked up a sword and threw it to me, in the process grabbing one for himself.

Turning to Zen I said, "I told you I use daggers and bows. I also thought you said they were the ones skilled in sword combat." I said pointing to Kiki and Mitsuhide. "Why have him fight me?"

"Yes, he is best with ranged weapons, he is also good with a sword. You should be able to use any kind of weapon a situation calls for." Kiki said.

"How about just do hand to hand combat to start." Zen said and Obi threw his sword to Mitsuhide. "Obi, go easy on her."

"Do you think I'm weak just because I'm the 5th?" They looked at me strangly before I realized what I said. "Force of habit" I waved it off.  From a young age when the people in the village would doubt me I said that, then proved them wrong.

"You just got over a fever and wouldn't want you to over do it." Zen said. He made a fair point. "And Shirayuki would be mad."

I walked over to put the sword away myself. I also passed Kiki. "Hey, I'm sorry about before." I was speaking about threatening her.

"Don't worry about it." She seemed like a serious person but when it came down to it she was kind, I was sure of that.

"Oh, finally stopped pretending to be so tough?" Obi joked from the middle of the room.

"I am tough! I just see no need to keep my guard up around you people." I didn't mean to say that.

"I'm glad we're making quick progress! Even if you do keep calling us 'you people'." Mitsuhide said the last part dejectedly.

I walk into the center of the room infront of Obi and ready myself to fight him. Hand to hand combat is something I'm good at. It is very similar to working with daggers considering they are small.

We were signaled to start and I stayed in my place. I still don't know how he moves so allowing him to attack first it my best option. He runs forward and starts with a right punch. I dodge to my right and sink into a left sweep kick clockwise.