Good in Evil

A faint voice behind me calls, "I love you!"

   It causes a pang in my chest that's making my throat burn and eyes water. This is just temporary, I need to ensure Alice loses. That's all I'm doing.

   I won't let her kill me. I won't win. I won't keep Obi waiting.

   I make it a good way a ways from the castle and town before I let myself fall from the trees into the fallen leaves below. I grasp the pain in my chest and an ugly wail leaves my throat. Tears stream from my eyes as I don't hold back my emotions.

   I sit on my knees leaning against a tree and collapse in on myself.

   "Why-" I sob between hiccups and sniffles. Why is this more painful than leaving the village. I've only known those people for a year, not even. I've only known Obi for a year.

   I try to take deep breaths but end up choking over them. I was fine before, what's wrong with me now? Did it just become real? Because it's been so damn real the past month it can't be that.

   My obnoxious screams of emotional agony won't subside. My eyes are so clouded over I can't see two feet ahead of me. Not that I'm looking forward. I'm too busy staring at the ground that's an inch from my face as my tears fall from the tip of my nose to water the dead leaves in vain.

   I try to take another breath, but I still need to cry. I just need to let myself cry. I've been so busy convincing myself everything was fine. I was doing such a good job that this pain came as a shock, but it was always there.

   The moment I began trusting then I knew it would hurt to leave, "They should've been bad people." I wish the village was right. This would be so much easier.

   I let out a scream drowned in my own saliva I've not been swallowing before punching the tree beside me. I stand up and wipe tears, snot, and spit from my face.

   I'm not going to die. I'm going to see them again. I'm going to see him again.

   And so the journey begins, feeling ten times lighter than before.

. . .

   I should make a few more miles before sleeping for the night. I can go at a slow pace because I left early. It took only a week to get to Clarines when I was racing, so if I take my time I can stretch it to a month or so.

   It will be. . . Lonely. Not necessarily. I will be alone, but it doesn't have to be lonely. My general idea from the beginning was to ignore the outsiders. So a month by myself is a pin prick compared to a year. It gives me time to be fully prepared to see everyone at the village again. (I'm trying so hard to avoid saying villagers.)

   The participants in this trial are meant to enter the village through the southern border when the moon is highest. It's where two of the outlining houses are closest together. It creates a relatively small alley, so there is no dispute of who was first.

   Of course, it is still possible to enter at the same time. That's where the voting system comes in. Naturally I used to think voting from the get go would be the best solution, but the green allows chief prospects to see the world for what it is instead of being blinded by village ideals.

   It's a good thing, too. Considering I was most definitely blinded by the stories and rumors of the outside.

   It's there I'll wait for Hiraku to win. I'll watch from the tree line as my big brother becomes chief of our village. Then the festival celebrating him will last a week. No one will mention it, but after that is when the siblings are meant to leave. If you leave before, it shows badly on you. If you don't leave, it shows badly on the new chief.