Chapter 28 - A Christmas Chapter

░▒▓█►─═ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ═─◄█▓▒░

A Christmas Chapter; Endings and new beginnings

9 Months later

Frowning down at the decorated table, Violet set the last silverware down. She adjusted the knife, perfectly aligning it with the fork. She traced the forest green table runner with her fingers, straightened the golden place mat to her right and she let her hand drop to her side. 

Kiara passed her with a glass salad bowl in her hand, almost making Violet knock the crystal wine glass down. Laughing, Kiara placed the salad in the centre of the table, next to the other food platters,“Relax, Vi.” Turning to face her, Kiara put her hand on her hip as she smiled reassuringly at Violet.

She let her head drop, her purple hair coming into view at the action. Blowing out an annoyed breath, she raised her head again. Smiling back, she tucked her hair behind her ear,“I suppose I'm a bit nervous. So many people, so many things that could go wrong. Sometimes I don't know if it's my intuition talking or just my head. And Jasper...”

As her voice trailed off, she averted her gaze to the foot of the table. She felt Kiara's arms envelope her in a hug,“It will be alright” The words came out muffled against Violet's hair. Pulling away to face her, Kiara looked into her eyes,“We all miss him. But hey, at least you have us right?”

Removing her arms from around Violet, she rearranged her features, sticking her tongue out and crossing her eyes she earned a laugh out of Violet.“No matter how goofy we might be, we will remain family.” Lowering her voice, she jokingly added,“You're stuck with us.”

Musical feminine laughter rang out, Violet's head turned to spot her mother, Esme, and Adriana clutching their stomachs as they recalled events that had long passed. Violet smiled at the sight.

Seeing the movement of Kiara checking her watch, Violet returned her gaze to her. Scoffing, Kiara placed her hands on her hips, her hair that was out of its ponytail in this rare occasion, she glanced around the open plan room,“It's almost noon and not even-”

A loud crash sounding from the kitchen made Kiara cut herself off. All eyes landed on the fifteen year old Lily stumbled out of the kitchen. Her cheeks reddened at the attention, she nervously fiddled with the end of her skirt,“Nothing's broken. Sorry, I'll just go there uh- there away in the corner or something.” Her voice grew softer as she talked, she took one step backwards almost colliding with Adrian before disappearing around the corner.

Kiara rolled her eyes, turning back to face Violet, who was trying her best not to giggle at the situation.“Here I thought it was Sky again.”

"Eh!" Sky piped up from the couch, untangling herself from her recent girlfriend, Lexie,"It ain't me!"

Kiara shot her a playful glare,"Not this time." Sky grumbled under her breath in response, earning a chuckle out of Kiara.

"Hey,"Violet's serious tone made Kiara drop her playful posture,"Have you seen Sam today?"

"No,"Adrian answered as he passed them, grill forks in hand and his crocs squeaking on the floor,"He mentioned that he'd go to the cemetery before coming here."

Violet nodded, understanding flashing in her eyes. Meanwhile Kiara eyed the forks in his hand,"I thought you said you can't grill."

Adrian gasped, his hand flying up to his chest dramatically,"Never. I said I make a mean steak."

Kiara raised an eyebrow,"That doesn't make sense, if you make it mean you burn it right?"

Violet had to stifle a laugh while Adrian openly laughed,"Sometimes I forget that English isn't your first language." Stepping closer to her, he tucked her hair behind her ear,"It'll be fine babe, I'll make a good steak. Plus dad's doing more work than I am."