Chapter 22 - Flying or falling?

░▒▓█►─═ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴛᴡᴏ═─◄█▓▒░

Sam squared his shoulders as he rode the elevator to the top floor. He can do this. Of course he can, he'll just have to do some convincing and maybe or no maybe he should just go - no, he can do this. He's not a chicken is he? No, he's not, so he's not going to chicken out.

Then he felt his chest tighten and his breath hitch. And what's he going to do when- if he gets out of this? Where will he go?

He never wanted to be apart of this. But he never had a choice. He just wanted to prove himself worthy, how many times he tried. Tried to show that he's not as pathetic as he thought. But in the end, it didn't matter.

Sam recalled the day he had to be so horrible to Kiara. It killed him, to see tears well up in her eyes like that, he just wanted to hug her and tell her he didn't mean any of it.

Because he didn't.

But he had to say all that, he had to make sure she won't talk to him again. That she'd hate him. He meant that Sam had to kill her, that's what 'get rid of her' means, but Sam wouldn't ever been able to do that.

He remembered what he said to her,
I say a lot of things doesn't mean it's true.

Deep down, he really hoped she picked up on his silent message. But she didn't.

In that moment it wasn't about pleasing him, the only person he ever tried to please. It was about saving Kiara's life. But he  found out, he used it against Sam. For now, Kiara was still safe. So finally Sam did something right.

He realised a long time ago, that no matter what he does, he'll never get the approval he so desperately wanted, not from him anyway.

And he was so impressed with Jasper. Sam felt a tinge of jealousy rise up but he quickly buried it when he remembered how Jasper didn't even know half of the story.

But hopefully he soon will, if Sam can get out of this he'll go to Jasper and tell him everything. But what if his boss realises his plan and kills him before he can do it.

Luckily he doesn't have mind reading powers, Sam reminded himself. But he does have mind manipulation. However Sam is partly immune to it. 

Why would he just let me go though? Just like that?

But maybe if Sam is really as useless as his boss makes him believe, he would be more than happy to let him go.

Sam felt his heart rate pick up as he started panting. No, breathe just breathe. We are not getting any panic attacks.

Sam opened his eyes when the elevator dinged, opening the doors, revealing the spacious office. His secretary typing away on her computer, zoning out of this world. And his two bodyguards standing right outside his door. Sam knew it probably wasn't the best idea to come to his office at this time of day but no way to turn back now.

His feet moved forward, leaving the elevator behind as he strided to the door leading to his boss's office. The two usual bodyguards stood on both sides of the door, they nodded at Sam and one of them used his knuckles to knock on the door.

Only a select few people knew who Sam actually was. Most thought he was just like his assistant or right hand man.

The other bodyguard spoke into his earpiece, he turned his head to the side, brought his hand up to his ear and spoke in a hushed whisper. He got affirmative, nodded at the other bodyguard before opening the door for Sam.

He smiled at them and stepped inside. He knew the procedure well, he has to go through it a lot. But hopefully, this will be the last time.

Laurent's head snapped up to meet his gaze. A smirk formed on his lips as he dropped the pen he had been writing with and leaned back in his chair.