Chapter 18 - Mind Block

░▒▓█►─═ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛᴇᴇɴ═─◄█▓▒░

Kiara eyes scanned her surroundings with narrowed eyes. Her damp hair cooled her neck as the early autumn sun warmed the earth.

She sighed, lifting her blonde hair in its usual ponytail off her neck, letting the light breeze give some relief as it hit her skin. Even though it was officially the early stages of autumn now, it was still very hot.

She let her hair drop again and placed her hands on her hips. She was used to this kind of weather, the summers she spent in South Africa are not for the faint hearted but where she grew up was quite the opposite of the warm and dry air she had grown so accustomed to.

Not wanting to let her train of thought crash into another, she reminded herself to focus on the task on hand, she was still on the job. And it's when one doesn't pay attention when all goes wrong.

She scrunched up her nose as the foul smell of dead fish hit her nose. The location she had been sent to was near the fish market, which also meant it was near the dock.

She looked to her right, only a bunch of shipping containers with narrow passageways between them. Then to her left, only a fence and trees.

She still didn't get why she had been sent here, no obvious signs of disturbance, no people, no noise just no life.

Kiara had started wondering if coming on these missions solo really is a good idea. However, she could be paranoid and here, at the abandoned warehouse-why is it always the abandoned warehouses?- was literally nothing, but then, why was she sent here? 

Did dispatch make a mistake? Or was this someone punk's idea of a joke.

Her forehead ceased when she saw a familiar turquoise cape flutter in the wind, as the figure made her way to Kiara. Kiara's hand went up to shield her eyes from the sun as she tried to see more clearly.

But that wasn't really necessary as her wolf-like senses gave her exceptional eyesight.

Yes, it was indeed Sky, but why was she sent here too? Kiara let her had drop, and her eyes return to their normal size.

"Wolf?" Sky used Kiara's super name, now that they were in public. She landed gracefully, pebbles crunching under her boots. Her lips pulled down in a frown, and her eyes looking around like an animal fearing a trap.

"Why are you here?" Both had asked the question at the same time. Sky had placed her one hand on her hip and cocked her head to the right. Kiara stood in her normal stance, hands at her sides with one foot slightly ahead of the other.

"I was sent here by dispatch." Again, their replies had been simultaneous.

"For a robbery,"Kiara continued crossing her arms and furrowing her brows.

"Dispatch told me it was an assault."Sky bit her lip, letting her gaze drop to the floor.

"I was told it's hostage situation." Violet spoke up, making herself visible. Standing between Kiara and Sky, her back facing the containers.

Kiara's head snapped in Violet's direction, and Sky lifted her eyes off from the ground,"Verdomde hel!" Kiara exclaimed something in one of her languages.

"Why on earth would some teleporter live here? In an abandoned warehouse with a bunch of shipping containers?"  The voice had come from their right.

Kiara turned around swiftly, her heart skipped a beat as she recognised that voice. Her smile tugged at her lips, Adrian, the smile soon dropped. Another cobra in the same area?