Chapter 20 - In the search of the homeless

░▒▓█►─═ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ═─◄█▓▒░

"We have a theory." Damien started, glancing at everyone in the room seriously. He had his usual police chief uniform on, which made him look utterly professional and slightly attractive too. Hey, Adrian had to get his looks from somewhere right?

They-Damien and Adriana- had gathered everyone together in PHO's conference room the next morning.

"Now Jasper,"Adriana looked directly at Jasper who sat more or less in the middle of the table next to Violet. Adriana had been standing, today she was dressed nearly in black and white. A white pencil skirt, paired with a blazer of the same colour, a black blouse beneath along with her black heels. Her hair flowing down her shoulders in curls, all and all, she looked exactly like the CEO of a cosmetic company would.

She continued her sentence,"We don't know whether this has anything to do with Henry and Jane's death. But,"She smacked her lips,"Whether it does or not, this can't be ignored."

"So are you going to tell us or just remain super secret about it?" Adrian had asked, he was very cheeky and bold and he was speaking to both his parents! Maybe the others just didn't speak to them like that because one, they had respect for people older than them and two, Adriana still was their boss.

Adriana rolled her eyes at her son and smiled coyly,"No, we were planning on having a picnic."

Kiara let out a small laugh at her words, which made everyone's heads snap in her direction. Her cheeks warmed up, what? She thought in her head, at least I appreciate sarcasm.

"Getting to the point,"Damien stood, placing the palm of his hand on the table in front of him, leaning in as he did so,"Mrs, Storm and I had noticed something. Now this might be nothing but something tells me it isn't."

Why do people always have to be so dramatic? Jasper thought, Get to the point and get on with it.

"It's in connection with what happened yesterday involving Jasper." Now it was Jasper's turn to blush brightly, nearly everyone had heard about his not-so-wise decision and he definitely heard their opinions of it.

"We noticed that the deceased seemed to have an overdose."

Kiara scrunched her nose, she saw out of the corner of her eyes how Adrian stole a glance at her when she did it. Ignoring the thought she said,"So he was a druggie?"

Damien shook his head briefly, setting his lips on a line,"Not quite."

"What Damien means to say,"Adriana stepped forward,"We think he had a particular drug in his system."

"What did tox say?" Adrian asked, using his shortened word for toxicology.

"Nothing was detected. But here's where it gets strange." She paused making sure she had their undivided attention,"When the storm had hit, we had a homeless girl and it seemed that the same happened to her."

With furrowed brows Jasper asked,"Did you detect something in her system then?"

"No,"Damien spoke up,"We had an officer witness it, exactly the same thing that  happened yesterday. Dilated pupils, foaming at the mouth, appearing to have a fit."

"Then she got up afterwards and pretended that nothing happened, refusing the officer's help." Adriana finished her husband's sentence.

Adrian said with narrowed eyes, his fingers resting on his chin,"Then what killed her?"

"She had water in her lungs so of course it will be assumed that she drowned." Damien answered,"She did come in after the flooding after all. So did a lot of homeless."