XVIII. Embarrassment Is Just One Step Away From Anger

Ozpin's POV

With Parents' Day coming to a close, Ozpin doesn't have much to worry about. According to Glynda, Ichigo performed marvelously as a professional. Mr. Winchester's mother caused a bit of trouble with him, but he handled that situation rather well. On Ichigo's recommendation, Mr. Winchester, when he is discharged from the hospital, shall return here to be straightened out by Ichigo personally.

Ozpin: "All in all, I'd say today was a success. The students' families were able to see how they've improved under our care and we were able to learn a thing or two in the process."

Ironwood: "I agree. If Salem has any spies within the school, even those posing as students, they couldn't act with so many eyes watching everyone."

Qrow: "We can also rule out anyone who seems to have significant family ties and whose records match what we learned today."

The three of them are discussing a few orders of business that need to be discussed before the upcoming Vytal Festival Tournament.

Ozpin: "Indeed. Now then, our next order of business."

Qrow: "Amber..." he solemnly states.

Ozpin: "Qrow, it wasn't your fault. We're lucky you saved her when you did, or else Salem would have all of the Fall Maiden's power."

Amber, the Fall Maiden, was attacked by unknown assailants sometime before the school year started. When Qrow got there, he was able to stop one of them from stealing all her power, but they were still able to take about half. He couldn't see them. His vision was blurry, and not from drinking. Atlas's technology has kept her alive since then, but she's running on borrowed time now.

Ironwood: "My machines have prevented her death and thus the halted the transfer over her remaining power, but we're running out of time. We need to find a replacement for her."

Ozpin: "I think I may have found someone who qualifies."

Ironwood: "Ah yes, Miss Nikos..."

Pyrrha's one of, if not the strongest student in the school and she still has plenty of room to grow. As the four-time winner of the Mistral Tournament, her skills outshine her peers, being only rivaled by a few. Well, not including Ichigo's teams, but they're special exceptions.

Qrow: "I agree that she's a strong girl and she has the qualifications, but are we sure she's the best?"

Ironwood: "What do you mean, Qrow?"

Qrow: "What I mean is that we have eleven new girls who are even stronger than the kid. We should at least consider one of them to be the next Maiden."

Ironwood: "We aren't even sure if their story checks out. We need to be able to trust them before we consider them for this. For all we know, they could be working for Salem. If that's the case, we'd be just handing her the Maiden's power on a silver platter."

Qrow: "Heh, trust. Big words coming from you, Jimmy. While you've been sitting behind your cushy desk in Atlas, I've been out there, and I know that we're going to need someone strong in order to face Salem."

Ironwood: "Qrow, I-"

Ozpin takes a sip from his mug before putting it down on his desk.

Ozpin: "Gentlemen, please. James, while I agree with you, Qrow's also right. So why don't we compromise? I know we're short on time as it is, but let us wait a little while longer and see if they can indeed be trusted. If they can, they we can ask one of them to be our Maiden. If not, if Miss Nikos is made into the next Fall Maiden, she may be able to stand up to them."