forty eight

Avoiding Melanie was easier than Calum expected. Apart from the one class they shared together there was no way he would come in contact with her throughout the day. He wasn't going to get back at Melanie by getting a gifriend or spreading (more) lies about her. All he would do is avoid her; simply cut her out of his life and act as if the two had never met.

And that was as easy said as done.

Really, it had been a month and he still wasn't having any issue.

"Mind if I sit here?" Luke smiles at Melanie, who's writing in her biology notebook.

"Doesn't seem like anyone else is." She states, smiling weakly at the blond boy.

"You can't be too upset," he presses, looking at the girl across from him. "It could be worse."

The pair sit alone at the circular lunch table, Melanie not bothering to look up at Luke. "I'd rather not think about other possibilities."

Luke continues, despite Melanie's disinterest. "Look, Cal and Michael are over there. He's helping Michael with what I assume is homework, while Ashton is practically cuddling Alexis," He looks away before his glance could be matched. "And we're over here. I'm in the awkward kind-of-friends stage with Aries; You've buried yourself in homework while I sit across from you trying to make conversation."

Melanie sighs. "Your point?"

"If we all only went full-circle with this, maybe it wasn't meant to be," He frowns a bit. "Don't you see this is exactly as it was a year ago?"

"A year of my life wasted if I'm honest;" Melanie sighs as she closes the notebook. "Meeting Cal distracted me from school. The friendship was nice and all, but I need to get my life back on track."

Luke raises an eyebrow. "So, what? Cal was just a little pit-stop on your journey through life?"

"Perhaps."

Luke rolls his eyes at the newly-brunette girl. "So you're over him? Just like that?"

"You can't get over what never happened."

"Melanie," Luke groans. "This is exactly what happened last time, except you got in too deep this time around. You can't just practically date a boy for months only to forget him!"

"What's so different for him then, hmm?" She scoffs. "It's been a month and he hasn't spoken a word to me. Not him, not Michael, heck, not even Ashton!" She sighs. "He can't just rip my friends away from me like that."

Luke shrugs. "They haven't spoken to me either. I just find it easier not to get involved, Mel;" he smiles empathetically. "But I don't think that's what you need to do. They're your friends as well, so get them back."

Melanie shakes her head. "I can't; I need to completely forget Calum and that's not going to help."

Luke shakes his head. "You're not making sense. First you want to forget Calum, then you want everyone back, but now you won't make an effort?" Melanie would swear that he simply just did not understand. "You can't have it each way. If you want to get over him so badly, then do it."

"I told you, I already have."

Luke studies Melanie's face, waiting for a reaction that might give him an insight on what she actually wants. However, Melanie's the most complex enigma he's aware of, so it doesn't do much good just to watch her.

No, he needs to dig a bit deeper.

"Get rid of the notes."

"Excuse me?"

Luke smirks. "You heard me. You still have the notes he gave you, no?"

Melanie shakes her head. "No...I-I do."

"Then prove me wrong," Luke suggests. "If you're so determined to be over Calum, throw away each of his notes to you."

And that night, Melanie opened up her top bedside drawer full of letters from Calum and emptied it into the small trash bin in the corner of her room, only to sift through it and take back each note. She placed them in a shoebox on the top shelf of her closet instead.

Unbeknownst to her, however, Calum had no issue throwing away his notes from her.

Especially considering the fact that he never took them back.

»

(an: this book is almost done btw

like there's plenty of chapters left but not a whole ton

sorry for the lame filler chapter!!)