forty six

Going to school the next day was more nerve-wraking than that of the first day of Melanie's freshman year. She had a spurt of luck though; Luke had dropped his computer science class and switched into the one that Melanie, Michael, Aries, and Calum shared. With the current change of events between the group of friends, Melanie was grateful Luke lacked the class's credit; she took it to be an excuse to avoid Michael at all costs.

Luke, on the other hand, wasn't all that thrilled to see Aries sitting in the front of the room when he entered. Still, he smiled at her, to which she returned empathetically.

Yes, Aries had screwed up majorly. Luke didn't plan on taking her back, and Aries was well aware of that fact- she would've done the same if she were in his shoes. However, the two weren't heartless. Did they miss each other? Of course. Nonetheless, the most they could ever give each other was a smile or hello before things became awkward.

Luke had sat beside Melanie at the window. After having to pick her up from Michael's house the day prior, he became well informed on Melanie's situation. He sided with Calum and Michael, but similar to what Michael had said (or yelled, rather), Luke was Mel's friend first, and he would aid her to the best of his ability.

"Morning, Mel." Melanie turns her head to see Calum standing behind her. He presses a quick kiss to the top of her head when Melanie reciprocates the greeting.

It all begins piecing together pretty quickly for Luke. The way Calum looks at Melanie is a gaze so many could only dream of receiving. He goes out of his was to constantly make sure that Melanie is as happy as can be because in his eyes, he just wants to be the best boyfriend to Melanie he can; for that's just what she deserved in his eyes.

Luke thought that at most, Melanie deserved a cardboard cutout of Harry Styles as a boyfriend; he wasn't too sure that she could still be trusted with the emotions of real people.

That's none of his business, though.

Luke sighs, leaning back in his chair. "I switched into the class, so it looks like you might have to sit by Michael instead."

Calum nods with a smile, only to push Luke's chair so that the front two legs are back on the ground. "That's fine, but stop leaning back in your chair, you'll fall and hurt yourself."

Luke smirks and leans back again, only for Calum to push down his chair for a second time before he walks towards Michael's table.

"Why did you do that?" Melanie snaps. It wasn't intentional, but she found what Luke had done to be awfully unfortunate to her attempt to make sure Calum didn't find out her dilemma.

"Oh, calm down." Luke crosses his arms and slouches slightly in the plastic seat. "He's gonna find out eventually, it might as well be from Michael."

"And how is that going to help anything?"

Luke moves his attention from the back of Aries' head (unintentional, he'd insist, though he knows well enough that he's still hung up on her) and to Melanie. "You telling him you don't have feelings for him the way he does for you, or not telling him all, is a lot worse than having a close friend tell him." He pulls a pack from gum out from his pocket and takes a piece, not bothering to offer any to Melanie as she would only object. "I had Aries tell me straight to my face that she cheated on me. If someone else had told me, I don't think it would have upset me as much as it did."

"So what you're saying is that you would have rather her to have been dishonest?" Melanie sighs. "If you're going to keep comparing Calum and me to you and your ex, please stop forgetting to mention the key details of your relationship."

Luke just smiles. "Who knows, maybe it can work out between you and Cal? Aries and I are still friends."

Melanie raises an eyebrow. "The most you guys can say to each other is 'hello' without things getting weird."

"To be completely honest, Mel," Luke balls up the gum wrapper and tosses it into the trashcan. "You and Calum were doing a lot better when you could only say 'hi' and wave before freaking out, as well." Melanie frowns, knowing that Luke is probably right. "Michael is right, you know?"

"About what?"

Luke exhales a long breath and shakes his head. "Calum is head over heels for you;" He meets Melanie's deep green eyes with his crystal blue ones. "You don't deserve him, and there's no way he deserves you."

"What do I deserve, then?" Melanie isn't all that surprised with Luke's words. He had always been honest with her, which was one of his more admirable qualities (which he held plenty of, in Melanie's opinion).

Luke shrugged. "Not Calum, that's for sure;" He laughs slightly and grins at her. "I mean, you can always get a pet fish; I think it would be pretty hard to hurt a fish's feelings."

»

an: cal's gonna find out soon uh oh
but hey it's not like it's the first time in one of his relationships that he's had to deal with lies about someone's feelings
oooooh sICK BURN YO
anyway, thoughts on luke and mel at the moment?
how about any predictions for upcoming chapters?