thirty five

Melanie wakes ten minutes after Calum has left. Sitting up, she notices the absense of her friend. His suitcase is not to be found, by the price of paper on the pillow where head once laid catches her eyes.

It doesn't take long to read, nor does it take long to make sure she has all of her belongings. Dragging the suitcase along her side as she makes her way to the elevator, her phone buzzes in her pocket.

Once in the elevator, she lets go of her suitcase to see what caused the vibration of her cell phone.

Delivered 9:17 AM; From: Cal-Pal

"hurry up, stupid. we don't have all day.
xx"

Melanie sighs, replying that she's on her way to the lobby.

When she steps out and onto the white, tiled floor, the first thing she sees is Cal leaning against a column near the entrance to the room where breakfast was being served. "It's about time you woke up." Calum states as he shoves his phone back into his pocket.

"Oh, shut up." Melanie groans, smacking his arm playfully.

"I checked us out of the room once you replied, so I hope you've got everything." Melanie nods. "I was thinking that we could quickly drop out luggage off at my car and we could go out for brunch?"

Melanie chuckles. "Brunch? How old do you think I am, Cal, 30?"

He smiles at the remark. "Oh, ha ha. But really, there's a shopping outlet down the street within walking distance. We could grab something to eat there and go browse the shops for a bit. If we're done by two, we'll be right on schedule to go to the next hotel."

Melanie nods. "Yeah, alright. That sounds good." She was thankful that he had a well thought-out plan.

Calum reaches to take the luggage from Melanie's hand. "Want me to take this?" She shakes her head.

"I'm perfectly capable, Hood. Thank you though." Calum pushes the door of the hotel open and walks behind it, hiding it for Melanie before letting it fall closed.

Pressing the button on his keys, Calum unlocks the car and pops open the trunk. He tosses in his suit case first, and Melanie follows. "How far away is this place?"

Calum slams the trunk closed and presses the opposite button twice; once to lock the car, another just to be sure. "About five minutes, why? Is it too far for the princess to walk?"

Melanie rolls her eyes as she begins to walk with Calum. "Very funny," she pushes the damaged hair from her face and to the left side. "I just thought that it'd be nice for you to drive me to our date."

Calum's eyes widen. "Date?" He laughs. "Oh, you wish, Melanie. I'm not letting you win that bet just yet."

Melanie watches the cars pass as she continues walking. "Maybe it's not about the bet."

That catches Calum's attention. "Oh, really? Then what's it about?"

Melanie shrugs. "You said we couldn't date, which I agreed to. I just find it fun to see how long it's going to take until we give this up."

He smirks, pushing a pair of sunglasses over his eyes. "You're going to be waiting a while, Mel." She doesn't respond. She knew that Calum was right. In the back of her mind, she had believed that Luke was right, and that she was in fact ridiculous for believing that something could happen between her and Calum. There was no spark when they kissed, and all of a sudden he doesn't want to date her? It pieced together well, in her eyes. Calum doesn't notice Melanie worrying. Out of the corner of his eye, he can see the shorter girl watching the pavement as the pair's feet moved in sync. She's still wearing one of Calum's hoodies because she was too lazy to change out of it in the morning. It smelt like him too, which she couldn't complain about. Calum didn't mind it when Melanie stole his clothing to borrow for a day. He could swear that she always pullled it off better than he could. "Can I hold your hand?"

Melanie smirks. "Isn't that too coupley for us?"

"I don't know. We cuddled last night; that was platonic, who says this can't be?"

Melanie sighs happily and laces her fingers with those of Calum. "You prove a good point Cal," she chuckles at his surprised expression. "Sadly."