seventeen

Melanie didn't enjoy the wait for Calum to show up. Michael mentioned that Cal is constantly late, but didn't expect for him to have been tardy to the anticipated first date with Melanie. With further discussion on the topic Mackenzie, Michael assured Melanie that she didn't have anything to worry about.

Mackenzie was Calum's partner for Spanish class, nothing more. Melanie had her doubts, as Michael seemed to want to change the conversation in a different direction as soon as possible.

It was a bit cold out. The transition into spring was only just occurring, but the weather hadn't seemed to catch on. The stone bench Melanie sat atop of felt frozen, but she soon adapted to it. Few people still walked by, and those who did seemed to only be going to their cars rather than continuing their journey across the shops.

Most didn't pay her a second glance. A few sent the lonely girl in the cold a sympathetic smile, but Melanie was focused solely on the arrival of Calum.

Writing notes back and forth now seemed stupid, as they had never exchanged numbers. Melanie spent her time texting Michael, who had suddenly become her rock on the matter of Calum. He knew Calum better than anyone, and for him to have stood up Melanie was unfathomable, so he ruled out that reason nearly immediately.

Calum did, in fact, have to work on a Spanish project with Mackenzie (he didn't tell Melanie that, of course; doing so would have been stupid and only allow her to worry more). Though doubtful of Calum even working on the project the day of his date, Michael saw that to be the only excuse (once again, he didn't tell Melanie. The poor girl didn't need more stress.)

Mackenzie Matthews just happened to be a girl Calum constantly talked to during art class, on behalf of Melanie's advice in a prior note they exchanged. Calum hadn't planned on becoming friends with her and he also didn't plan on asking Melanie out on a date (especially being late for said date at the fault of the preceding girl), but hardly anything in life is planned for sure. The spontaneous events were something Calum lived for, and found great comfort in the fact that his life was entirely up to him.

This time around, he was wishing that he knew how things would turn out, because he wasn't too fond of the unplanned stall of working with Mackenzie.

»

(an: shoutout to me for writing this weak chapter
if this chapter was confusing, which it probably was, here's the run-down:
-melanie is waiting for calum to show up for their date and he's late like what the heck man
-she previously talked to michael about mackenzie, and he knows more than he's telling her
-calum is partners with mackenzie on a spanish project
-mackenzie is also the girl calum talked about in a note to melanie a few chapters back!!!
-mackenzie and calum were working on their spanish project and that's why cal is late sigh
-michael knows that's why calum is late, but won't tell melanie

woo cool there's that chapter in a nutshell
how has your guys' week been?
ily and thanks for reading)