twenty seven

Aries is quietly snoring in the backseat as she rests her head on a sleeping Luke's shoulder. Michael is crammed against the window with the giraffe-boy leaning against him. When Melanie saw the three sleeping, she thought that they looked like leaning dominos.

She's sat in the passenger seat, with Ashton driving. She's tired, but needs to help him drive. It's dark out, the scene around the five only being illuminated by passing cars, large buildings, and a few traffic lights. With the radio off, Melanie can hear the tires roll over the ground as they drove to no destination in particular. "You know, if you get tired I can always pull over to wake Michael up and have him sit up here with me."

Melanie turns her head that's been pressed against the window, and smiles. "I appreciate it, but I'll be alright."

Ashton doesn't look at her, mainly because he can't- the road is far too busy to become distracted. "Suit yourself."

Melanie turns back to the window, not fighting nearly as much to keep her eyes open. "I don't know how you're doing this."

Ashton chuckles. "Caffeine is a blessing, dear."

Melanie yawns as she looks at the cup of coffee in the cupholder across from her. "Can we stop and get something to eat?"

Ashton glances at the radio clock- 2:37 AM- and sighs. "We can stop at Starbucks, but we'll be late for checkin at our hotel in the morning."

"How? It won't take that long."

Ashton detours the car onto a new street, watching the road intently. "Unlike you four, I actually planned out this trip."

Sighing, Melanie shrugs. "Nevermind then. I'll get breakfast in the morning."

"Sorry, Mel." Ashton smiles sympathetically.

Melanie shakes her head. "Don't worry about it. We don't have much longer until we get there."

The two are quiet until Ashton gets off the highway and onto a quieter street. The five minutes of complete silence feels like forever, as they have no music to distract them apart from what they can hear from neighboring vehicles.

"Can I ask you something?"

Melanie continues staring through the windshield. "Go for it."

"So, I heard from one of the guys on the team that there's a rumor about you and I," Ashton glances to Mel, who hasn't changed her position. He exhales deeply, still confused about what he's going to mention. "People think you and I have dated."

Melanie smirks. "We hang out all the time, so I wouldn't be too surprised if I were you. People used to think the same thing about Luke and I."

Ashton groans, and removes his left hand from the steering wheel to move a piece of his curly hair out of his eyes. "No, it's different. They think I cheated on Alexis with you, and that I broke up with her so I could keep seeing you."

Melanie raises an eyebrow. "Alexis broke up with you."

"Thanks for the reminder, thought I was over it."

Melanie shakes her head. "No, I mean you didn't break up with her," Ashton sighs at the constant memory of their split. "There's no way people believe this."

"You'd be surprised, Mel. People are willing to do anything to knock you down."

»

an: everYBODY WANNA STEAL MY GIRL
what's up guys??? I don't have much to say for this note so here's a quick little update
what's your favorite part of this book? fav character? any feedback???
cool