fifty

"Prom's coming up."

Melanie groans in response to Ashton's comment. "Don't remind me."

Ashton takes a french fry off of Melanie's plate, taking in the scenery of the restaurant the pair sat in. "You gonna go?"

"Probably not; I think it's best I avoid anything that could lead to a relationship right now." She sips her glass of Coca-Cola.

Ashton huffs. He wants to tell Melanie that she needs to calm down and stop being melodramatic over the situation between her and Calum that had occurred six months prior, but he knew that she would only do the opposite of calming down. "Aren't you at least going to go to the block party the football team's having afterward?"

Melanie shakes her head, not removing her eyes from her phone. "Nope. The chain of events that happened because I went to my first party just proves why it should stay my last party."

Ashton nods understandably. "I'm taking Alexis out to dinner beforehand."

"Can't she just eat the food there?" Melanie asks, combing her fingers through her pastel pink locks.

"Allergies." Ashton sighs.

Melanie nods. "Gottcha."

He and Alexis were a relationship anyone would envy. Of course they had their issues, but didn't all relationships?

"Is Luke taking Aries?" Ashton inquires. Any information he wants to get about Luke requires him asking Melanie for. Michael was close to the blond boy as well, but Melanie was blunt and didn't have an issue dropping a secret or two to someone as trustworthy as Ashton.
Melanie shakes her head. "They don't talk. I think he and I are gonna go as friends if he can't get a date."

"Really?"

Melanie sighs. "We both figured this is our last chance at prom and just because both of our previous experiences with dating sucked doesn't mean we can't enjoy prom."

"I thought you and Calum didn't date?"

Melanie doesn't know whether to cry or cringe at the sound of his name. "We didn't. You know what I mean, though."

Ashton smiles, fixing his thick-framed glasses. "You should come dress shopping with Alexis and I."

Melanie scoffs. "You? Dress shopping?" She sighs happily. "Oh, I never knew you were this whipped."

Ashton narrows his gaze at Mel. "I'm not whipped, it's called being a good boyfriend-" he fixes the hat he's wearing, "-and a good friend." Melanie's smile drops slightly. Ashton knew about her financial situation, and the fact that he was willing to chip into buying her a dress wasn't something she should take for granted.

She nods. "Okay, I'll go."

»

Melanie frowns, running her hands against her sides as she looks at her reflection in the green gown. "This is too formal."

"You think?" Ashton cocks his head to the side. "What do you want instead?"

Mel shrugs. "I don't even know at this point." Taking one last look in the mirror, she shakes her head. "I'm sorry if I'm being difficult. I don't want to come across as ungrateful or anything."

Ashton smiles. "You're fine; I just want to make sure you're happy with the dress we buy."

Melanie nods. "I know." Alexis walks past the curtain that had been pulled open and into the fitting room.

"I found a few I liked that didn't fit me well," she places them on the rack attached to the wall. "I think you may like them."

Ashton pats Melanie's shoulder before walking out with Alexis. Melanie pulls the curtain back and grabs the first of three dresses Alexis had dropped off. Holding it up, she sighs to herself; "Let's get this over with."