forty five

an: ayyyy whaddup
no edits were made bc I found how I could get the story back on track!
I'm so happy to be writing again woo
do you have any questions you wante to answer or????

»

"Why did you need to talk?" Michael's question was the one thing Melanie wanted to avoid. Right when she had gotten into the car to go to his house, Melanie instantly had regretted it. One would have to give her props though; she managed to steer the conversation away from the subject of interest every time Michael had brought it to the table. "Please don't change the subject again. Something's wrong and you asked if we could talk about it, so that's what we're going to do."

Melanie slumps into the couch, a strand of hair falling into her face only to be blown away by her minty breath. "Calum has got me really confused."

Michael doesn't look away from the game of Sims he is playing, but listens intently. "And how is that? I think he's pretty blunt with his feelings."

"That's the thing. He's blunt with his but if I was with mine it could upset him."

Michael laughs for a second. "I doubt that. He's a pretty chipper guy; it's not like you like someone else." Melanie stays silent, to which Michael takes a notice to. "Oh my God, you aren't kidding..." He pauses the game and spins around to face her.

"I don't exactly know if I like someone else, but I'm nervous I might have a spark with someone else." Michael rolls his eyes, but Melanie can't blame him. She had been told a number of times by a number of people that it was silly to dwell over.

"Not this again, Mel-" Michael groans.

"Just hear me out, okay?" Melanie snaps. It shuts Michael up a bit too quickly. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"Just explain what's wrong so we can get this over with." Michael rubs the temples of his head when Melanie says quiet. "Or I can start it..." He shrugs, his hands landing against his thighs. "Well, who is it?"

"Who's who?"

"Oh, don't play coy with me, Melanie;" Michael stands up from his spot on the ground to turn off the PlayStation. "Who's the other guy?"

"I'm not even sure there is one-"

"Who did you kiss that you suddenly felt a spark with?" He scoffs, shaking his head as he turns back around to face the girl on the couch. "Because we both know it's not me." Melanie's face drains of color and she switches her gaze from the tall boy to the houseplant against the wall. "Melanie-" He takes a step closer, and she curls back further into the couch.

"I'm just curious! I don't want to lead him on if I have a spark with someone else instead."

"Lead him on?" Michael pinches the temple of his nose and his eyebrows furrow. "That's exactly what you're doing! Do you honestly think the spark thing matters?" She doesn't answer. "That should be the least of your worries! What you should be concerned about is the fact that you're dragging a perfectly good guy- who likes you so much he's practically whipped- into your little game."

"Do you honestly think I'm trying to hurt him?" Melanie's voice raises to the volume of Michael's. "We're not even dating!"

"Well he seems to think different! Maybe you're not trying to hurt him on purpose, but I can assure you that considering leaving someone for his best friend isn't going to help him in any way."

Melanie stands, sighing. "I honestly thought you could at least help me figure this mess out."

Michael shakes his head. "Not when you're trying to pull me into the middle of it, I won't: go confine in someone else, I can't always be here to fix your mistakes." Walking into the hallway toward his room, Michael calls back: "I'm texting Luke to give you a ride home."

"It's fine," Melanie sighs as she grabs her book bag from beside the couch. "I can walk."

"I may be upset with you, Melanie," Michael walks back with his phone in hand. "But I'm not a complete jerk."

Melanie mumbles a quick "thanks".

"Try to figure out your situation with Calum soon, though. I care about you both," Michael sighs as he tosses his phone back and forth between his hands after texting Luke. "But I was his friend before yours. I won't hesitate to help him through this."

»

an: melanie you butt ugh but hey you go michael stand up to her!!!
did you guys think they were gonna end up in an angry kiss because hahaha nope
I kinda ship mel and mikey so yeah
this chapter sucked but I'm excited to write again!!!
do you have any questions you want answered? suggestions? feedback?