Escape

That night, as Wendy and I were talking, I felt something powerful in the vicinity. It was as though magic was surrounding the forest, like invisible waves charging past the trees and submerging themselves into every particle surrounding us. I looked at Wendy, wide-eyed. "What is it?" She asked.

"Can't you feel that?" I asked. She shook her head in confusion, fear growing on her face. "That's magic! Powerful, too." Soon, it fizzled out. "That was light magic," I began, "definitely not Pan's."

"What about the Truest Believer?" Wendy suggested. Of course!

Suddenly, we heard a loud rustle of leaves, and a cloaked boy came into view. I could barely see him, but I'd know that gait anywhere. "Pick!" I exclaimed.

"SHHH!" He hissed, placing his finger to his partially-chapped lips.

I shuffled around in my cage and lowered my voice, even though he was making enough noise himself to be conspicuous. "Sorry, mate! Did something happen?"

"I'm gonna get into trouble for being here," he whispered, sitting in front of Wendy and me. "I'm supposed to be with them: Pan's gonna call for all the Lost Boys, we're supposed to be taking the Truest Believer back to camp - he passed the test with the Pixie Dust." That was the magic I had had felt.

"Bloody hell, if only I could get out of this cage." I muttered, shaking the bars.

"You can!" Pick exclaimed suddenly with a gasp.

"Huh?"

"I don't know, with your believer magic: The first day you arrived, you magicked up a bottle jack, remember?"

"Yeah..." I still didn't understand what he was insinuating.

"Well, maybe you can use some leftover magic from the Pixie Dust just now, and force the cage open." I wasn't entirely sure if that would work, but I needed to have faith if it was going to have any chance of working at all. "But not right now," Pick added. "Pan's awake. Wait until he's asleep, his magic will be weaker then."

But so would the Pixie Dust's. "I thought he didn't sleep..."

Wendy spoke this time. "Pan's getting weaker by the day. For the past few weeks he must have been sleeping, I'm sure of it. But how will Rizon know when he's asleep?"

"I'll come and tell you," Pick decided.

~~~

After he had gone, I picked up a stick and ran it across the bars absentmindedly, back and forth, over and over. "Do you not go insane?" I asked Wendy at last. "How long have you been in here? A week is hard, let alone centuries!"

Before she could reply, Pick returned: a big grin on his pale face. Before he'd even said, "he's asleep", I was working on the cage. I had to relax, so I closed my eyes. I couldn't rush or force it to happen, I just had to be open to the idea that it could.
I had my hand on the bars of the cage, holding them half firmly, half gently. Before long, I felt a strong link to my fire sword. I looked up, opening my eyes to see a beacon of multi-coloured fire rise from the ground into the sky. It looked beautiful - very similar to what I imagined the Bifrost would look like. Almost as soon as I spotted it, it disappeared. The cage door swung open, and it would have taken me with it had it not been for my loose grip. Pick helped me out of the cage and I stretched my limbs, shaking myself. I ached.

"I need to hide somewhere," I said quietly, before turning to Wendy. Her cage door had opened, too, but she hadn't moved.

She stared at the ground outside her cage, as if the fact that she might be able to leave was impossible. "I'll be safer here, you go." I didn't want to leave her. But I'd never put her at risk - I cared for her too much. We hugged before she closed herself in the cage once more. "Go, go!" Pick took my hand and we ran through the forest, trying not to laugh too loudly. I was free!

It felt brilliant! The night air was cool and refreshing and the wind whipped through my hair as I untied it, allowing it to be loose and free.

"Where are we going, pirate?" Pick asked as we ran.

"I need my fire sword, we'll go from there." He nodded in reply, and we ran to where the beacon of light had sprouted from.