Panpipes

I sat with Ed and Siggy, leaned against the trunk of a large tree for about an hour. I found out that Ed was the son of a butcher who disowned him for not wanting to kill the family lamb for meat during a famine. Siggy was not one to talk. But he liked to make faces when I told him of my sailing adventures. It was as though he didn't quite believe that I'd lived such an intrepid life. After a while, the sound of panpipes filled our ears. A gentle, lulling tune that made the boys all get up and dance around the fire again - though it had died down a bit now. Ed stayed with me. "Orange is a little dull, don't you think?" I asked him. The boy raised his eyebrow in confusion. "It's too common for my liking, anyway. What's your favourite colour, Ed?"

"Blue," he replied, tapping a slightly tattered blue leather bracelet on his wrist.

"Blue it is then," I said, winking. I stood and walked over to the fire, slipping between two of the boys, to reach out to the fire with my magical sword. Gradually, the orange flames turned to an enchanting dragonfly blue. The panpipes stopped playing, and the boys shrieked and jumped away from the fire. I sighed. "Lights out." I took the sudden darkness and confusion within the vicinity as a chance to leave their prying eyes. I attached my sword to my belt once more and ran off.

~

I found the beach and sat on the cold, wet pebbles, looking up at the moon. Its white glow was cast over the dark, rippling waves. It was a view that always comforted me after weathering a storm. My father took me to the crow's nest once or twice to watch it - as though we were trying to get closer to the moon and stars themselves. I remembered the shell that he'd given me and scrambled to get it out of my pocket. "Father? Father, it's me," I said into it.

"Starfish! Are you alright?" His response was immediate. It was assuring to know that even though I couldn't see my father, I could still speak to him.

"Yes, father, I'm fine. I'm on the beach. I ran off because I may have... tampered with the bonfire and left everyone perplexed," I explained. "Even the panpipe player stopped."

"You heard the panpipes?" My father suddenly exclaimed. His unexpected rise in voice shocked me and I almost dropped the shell.

"One of the Lost Boys told me that in Neverland, you imagine something, and it appears. Yet, when a bottle jack appeared, he was shocked. Now I'm supposed to be deaf to panpipes?" I snapped, irritated.

"Rizon... those panpipes can only be heard by boys who feel unloved and lost. I know that you may feel that way currently, but you..." His voice trailed off. He must have felt terrible leaving me here with no other option. I heard him sigh. He sounded utterly powerless. He wasn't the captain of the world I'd believed he was when we stood in the crow's nest years ago.

Perhaps I'm a Lost Girl, I thought. "I'm sorry, father. I know you're just giving me my best chance, but..." I felt guilty. I wasn't making him feel any better about his decision. I took his silence for pain. I didn't want to offend him, but I was hurting too.

"No, I know, starfish... you're right to feel lost. But we can still talk, and someday I will return for you-" I heard shouting in the background. "I'll talk to you later, Rizon."

I lied back in the pebbled sand, looking up at the specks of light in the navy blue sky. "...Goodbye, cap," I sighed, before pocketing the shell once more, and losing myself in a trance of finding constellations - another thing my father had taught me to do.

~

"Would you like to know who was playing the panpipes?" A voice said from the direction of the forest, snapping me out of my daze. It was Peter. Then it hit me. Peter Pan: Panpipes! Of course he would enchant an instrument so only certain people could hear it. I stayed silent, blinking away the sharp tears that began to cloud my vision and blur the million specks of light in the sky. Peter sat next to me and looked at me for a moment, before shifting to lie next to me. The sand scattered onto our clothes as he made himself comfortable.

"You play them very well," I finally replied. I adjusted to make myself comfortable. He laughed through his nose. "Wow, too snarky to take a compliment, eh?" He didn't say anything for a moment, but when I shuffled to get up, he grabbed my arm. Due to a reflex, years of swashbuckling training, and muscle memory, my fire sword was at his throat in an instant. Dragonfly-blue flames emitted from it, which eventually faded back to orange. Peter looked shocked for a moment, and I was about to apologise – until he smirked. I wasn't sure whether to feel relieved or shocked myself - involuntarily feeling both. "I-I..." I stammered, before putting my fire sword away and briskly walking back in the direction of the forest.

Peter suddenly appeared in front of me. I gasped. He simply smirked. "It's getting late. You should get some sleep." He turned on his heel and began to walk West. I sighed, following anyway.
The boy/demon/piper led me to a hut. "It's all yours," he said, extending an arm to it, and bowing a little. Inside the hut was small bed – large enough for me. Beside the bed was a small table with a chair, a notebook with a red leather back and a beautiful quill in a bottle of black ink – Killian must have told Peter that I enjoyed writing. There was a light fuelled by paraffin beside the notebook that was slowly burning – meaning that Pan must have been in here recently to light it, or it was an ever-combusting light due – once again – to Neverland's magic. I turned to him.

"Thank you." I smiled. It was then that I noticed how tired I was. My eyelids were beginning to heaven and close, the night forest sounds were beginning to sound muffled, and my voice was raspy and quiet. I don't remember much after that, simply that Peter lifted me into my bed and left me to my silent slumber.