Goodbye, Starfish

I followed Peter Pan through the forest until we reached the bottom of a cliff. I squinted as I looked up at it. The sun was directly overhead. "Bloody hell," I murmured, making an attempt to shield my eyes from the bright light. Someone's soft skin clasped onto my wrists and brought them slowly behind my back. I didn't have to look back to see who it was. "What are you doing?" I asked the not-boy-demon. In my peripheral vision, I could see a few specks of light: magic. I would have fought him easily but I was too curious to see what he would do next.

"This," he whispered, his hot breath on my ear, suddenly taking me up into the air. It turned out that the magic specks of light were Fairy Dust. I did not shout; I screamed. A ghastly, banshee-resembling sound that would ring out through the forest and make my throat feel hoarse later. I kicked, too, my legs flailing in the air. "Be quiet." Peter growled into my ear. I obeyed. But only because I didn't want to be dropped from such an egregious height.
We landed atop the cliff, beside a slope and a running waterfall. The waterfall was barely visible since it was hidden behind Dreamshade bushes. "We could have walked up the slope." I said, readjusting my coat and making sure I had all my weapons.

"Flying was more fun," Peter stated with a smirk. Noted, I thought. There was probably a reason this demon had chosen to remain as a child.

I filled a vial with some Dreamshade – taking care not to touch it – before securing it onto my belt. "Do you know what Dreamshade does, Rizon?" I was taken aback.

"Yes, I do: It can kill. How did you know my name?" I asked, crossing my arms and furrowing my brow.

"Killian and I have had some history," he replied.

"I know. But you wouldn't have met me before," I replied.

"You're welcome," he said, pointing to the vial. I didn't respond. I turned to walk down the slope. He teleported in front of me and I flinched, drawing my flintlock and cocking it.

"Do you know where you're going?" He asked.

I didn't make an attempt to hide my hesitation.  I was a lot better navigating the ocean than I was the earth. "Uh... forwards?" I replied. He laughed and I didn't know how to react to that.

"Put the gun away, Jones," he said to me. "I'll take you where you need to go."

"Forgive me if I don't trust you," I replied.

"Have it your way, then," he said maliciously - as though it was my fault. With a click of his fingers and in a puff of green smoke, he teleported me somewhere completely different.

~

We had entered a glade. The sun was directed onto the grassy ground around us in beams of scintillating light. My father was just out of the glade, sitting on a large fallen tree log, shaded under the canopy, drinking his rum. "You didn't look, too?" I asked him. "Surely you knew where it was." Peter laughed through his nose and went over to lean against a tree, away from the sun's light like my father was. Something was up. "What's happening... father?" He looked up at me slowly. "This was never about Blackbeard and the Dreamshade, was it?" I asked. He sighed sadly, shaking his head. "Go on then, cap," I began. I folded my arms. "Fire the cannon." Tears fell from my father's ocean eyes as he tried helplessly to compose himself.

"I owed Blackbeard something. But he wanted you, and I couldn't give you to him. Not for anything." I was old enough to know what that meant. "I wanted to keep you safe from him - to have you so far away that you were in another world entirely. So, I made a deal with Pan to protect you." He looked over at Peter. "He promises to keep you safe until I return." I sat down on the green forest floor. My plan to take Peter captive and bring him to my father had been thwarted. I had believed we would be coming for Dreamshade and then going back to our world to kill Blackbeard. I couldn't believe I hadn't seen my father's deceit; I had thought that he was troubled only by memories of working for Peter.

"I'm sorry, starfish," my father continued, his voice cracking. By now, my father was unable to keep himself from crying. Salt water was stinging my eyes too – Pan was looking to the floor solemnly, still leaning against the tree with his arms folded. "I've already lost your mother, I can't lose you, too. Pan's going to take care of you until I can sort out this feud with Blackbeard."

"Y-you're running a rig!" I spluttered, beginning to smile, only wishing that I was right. Until an idea struck me like lightning. "The Dreamshade! Father, you can use the Dreamshade, and take his crew as your own." Killian was shaking his head as I spoke.

"His crew are too loyal to him to let me give anything to him, Rizon-..."

"Then take no prisoners! Lights out! Dead men tell no tales, cap," I replied, standing up. I hoped that somewhere in my pathetic suggestions sat an answer to the problem. The man shook his head again. More tears fell from my eyes and I sobbed. "You're not even going to try?" It came out as more of a cracked whisper than a clear sentence.

"Rizon, you've seen his crew," he replied, standing and opening his arms. Peter moved over to him. "Come here." I ran to him and hugged him, breathing in his comforting scents of rum, leather and cologne, crying messily now. Peter put his hand on my shoulder and nodded curtly. It was time for Captain Killian Jones and his crew to leave Neverland on the Jolly Roger. I didn't know when I would see them again.