Chapter Twenty-Five

The next morning, I looked over and saw Tom sleeping soundly, I smiled to myself, I finally realized that I had fallen for this man since I first saw him walk into my life all those months ago.

I snuck out of bed and went to the kitchen to make coffee, I looked out the window to see what the day was going to bring, and I could tell it was a stay in the house kind of day.

It was pouring out, and soon the thunder and lightning would follow most times. But then again, I loved rainy days, staying inside by a warm fire and knitting was my favorite kind of day.

I started up the fireplace since I could feel the dampness in the air start already. After I poured my coffee, I went to change and saw Tom still asleep, I stood there watching him for a moment.

He was a sweet, generous man; how had I have gotten so lucky to have him in my life after everything that I have been through he is still here. It takes a special kind of person to stand beside you and want to help raise your baby that isn't his.

I changed into my sweatpants and a sweatshirt, threw on my jacket and boots, and went out to see my animals. Once in the barn I went about my morning feeding and watering them.

Once done I made sure the paddock door was locked and let them out of their stalls to roam about the indoor arena. I made sure to give each one lots of love and attention.

After they were set, I went to the garden barn and checked on the plants in there, I was keeping the main door shut to keep the warmth inside since the temperature had dropped quite a bit within the past hour.

Once I knew all the plants were taken care of, I shut that door and went back to my house. I passed by Derek and Darryle's home and waved when Derek came outside.

"Good morning, Ath, everything already taken care of?" he asked "already done, so take the day off" I said with a smile. Derek smiled, nodded, and went back inside.

I knew he would crawl back into his bed and pass out for another few hours, that guy could sleep.

Once inside I threw a few more logs into the fire, Tom was making us coffee. "The trip is all set for Tuesday since Thursday a storm is supposed to be here" I said as I sat down at the kitchen table to finish making the list of things that we all needed.

Tom put a cup of coffee in front of me, "Sounds good to me, little one" he said as he sat down next to me. We talked a bit more about what else we needed. Looking over the list I was happy with what we had.

"This should get us through the winter with no issues hopefully" I said as I stood up and went to the window, "what's the matter?" Tom asked as he walked up behind me.

I leaned my back against his chest, "nothing major just Tim said Devon was staying in town" I told him. I could feel him tighten up, "well hopefully we don't run into him" was all Tom said on that.

I turned my head and looked up at him, Tom looked down at me, scooped me up, and took me to the bedroom where we spent the rest of the afternoon under the covers.

The next few days went by in a flash, little bits of rain hot here and there but we were able to transplant a lot of the plants from the fields into the garden barn that I wanted moved.

I knew those ones would get us through the winter with fresh vegetables that we needed.

Tuesday morning was here, and we loaded up onto the two off-road vehicles that I bought a while back. I knew we needed something that could go over any kind of terrain once the baby was born just in case we needed to get to the airfield in a hurry.

Once in the plane my nerves went sky high, I overheard Tim talking to Devon and telling him that I was coming to town, and I had the plane till Tuesday night when I was coming back.

Taking a few deep breaths, I was not sure I wanted to see Devon after all this time, he never called or texted me after that note and I left that message to call me.

It has been two months since that day, and it took a while to get over him, he never realized how much I was in love with him and wanted to be married to him.

But after this last stunt he pulled I knew deep down I would not ever forgive him for what he did, I could not if I wanted to keep my heart intact. Plus, I was with Tom, and he was right there for me through it all.

I know he wanted to rip Devon apart for what he did but in secret he was happy that he was gone, "now I can show and treat Ath as the goddess she is the right way" I overheard Tom say to his brothers.

They both were happy for Tom and me, Derek said in passing that we looked right together, and I would want for nothing with Tom. That made me happy that his brothers were happy with us being together.

We landed and Tim made sure we had a truck to get around town and had it set up to haul anything I brought back with us to my home.

Once in town we stopped at Docs, "you are looking wonderful my dear, and the baby is healthy" he said with a smile. "You want to have an ultrasound and see what we can see?" he asked.

"Yes, I want to see my baby" I said excitedly.

After a few minutes, I was on the table with the cold gel being rubbed all over my stomach with the wand looking for the baby, "there she or he is" the doc. Said with a smile.

He was measuring the baby when the doc's wife came in, "oh my goodness that is so amazing" she said smiling at the screen. There was my baby, not noticeably big but still there was the heart beating away and a tiny body moving about.

I had tears in my eyes, I turned and looked up at Tom, he looked down at me with tears in his eyes, he held my hand, and I squeezed his. "There's our baby" I said with a smile and Tom winked at me.

The doc was watching our conversation out of the corner of his eye, and I saw him smile at what we were saying. After I got cleaned up and he handed me a few pictures that he had taken.

"My dear Ath, I am happy for you, you deserve it, and Tom is a good man, I knew his family from years ago, you will be happy and treated right from this motley crew" Doc said, and all three brothers laughed.