Picking Up the Pieces

(If you are a relatively recent reader, as of the 21st of February, 2021, please reread the end of last chapter since I have changed it! Hope you enjoy the chapter!

Harvey's POV

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

Every second was excruciatingly painful.

Every second that passed was reminder that we didn't know if Zak was alive or not.

Every second felt like an hour.

Yet the clock kept going.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

The hinges on the door squeaked as Red came out. He looked frazzled, eyes wide and hair going every which way. Me and Bad stood up, nearly knocking each other over in the process. Finn and Vurb stayed on the ground, looking up at Red. I couldn't see Tubbo.

He looked at each one of us, connecting with our eyes for just a second.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

"He..." Red started.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

"He made it."

The ticking stopped as Bad grabbed me, pulling me in for a tight hug. Vurb and Finn hugged each other as well. They joined our hug, Vurb grabbing Red's arm and pulling him in as well.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Tubbo awkwardly standing. I pulled myself out of the hug a bit, offering a hand to him. He looked down at my hand, then back at my eyes. I gave him a tiny smile which seemed to convince him enough. Tubbo placed his hand in mine and I pulled him in. We stayed like that, in a tight, happy hug.

When we came undone, Red smiled at all of us. "I have to say, when you six came into my office eleven hours ago, I did not expect to have to save someone's life. But that's the joy of being a doctor, I guess." We laughed with him, the relief of the news just making everyone's spirits feel uplifted.

"Is he awake?" Bad asked.

"I mean, he hasn't responded to me, but his eyes are open and blinking. I'd say a couple people at a time can visit him in there so we don't overwhelm him." Red suggested. All of us looked around, trying to figure out who should go first.

"How about Harvey and Tubbo go first. Tubbo is the reason we were even able to save Skep." Bad suggested. I looked at Vurb and Finn, who nodded their heads. Tubbo seemed a bit uncertain, but I gave him a squeeze on the shoulder.

"In you go. Call me if he needs anything." Red opened the door, allowing us to slip through the doorway. He closed it gently behind Tubbo, leaving us alone.

I could see Zak shift his head to the side and our eyes connected. I put a hand to my mouth, trying to hide my smile. I could see his eyes brighten a bit and his hand barely move.