Chapter 40: Rest and Relaxation

Monster Island

Godzilla shot awake in a cold sweat. Or at least thats what he thought the liquid running down his face was. Actually, it was water from a cloth that had been placed on his forehead. He was back home. In his own tent, in his own bed.
"Oh, good. You're finally awake." A voice said. Godzilla looked up to see the smiling face of Mothra standing in front of him.
"Hey... what happened?" He asked, taking the cloth off his forehead. He tried to get up, but Mothra rushed to his side and gently pushed him back down.
"Shhh, just relax." She said. "You passed out from exhaustion."
"Exhaustion?" Godzilla repeated. That had never happened to him before.
"Well of course, Godzilla, you've barely rested for a minute in the last few days." Mothra said. It almost sounded like she was chastising him. "You fought Ghidorah, went to space, came back, almost got killed by Titan Ghidorah twice, went to another dimension, and then fought Ghidorah again. And throughout all of that I haven't seen you stop to catch your breath. No wonder you passed out!"
Godzilla nodded. It was true, he had put himself through a lot in the past days.
"Well, I feel better now." He said.
"Good. Jet said the best thing for you was to let you sleep, so I did." Mothra explained. "You slept for 12 hours by the way."
"Wait, 12 hours?" Godzilla asked. "So... it's the day after the last battle then?"
"Yeah..." Mothra said. She just remembered something she had to tell him, and she wasn't looking forward to it. "Godzilla... during that fight... Kong was killed."
Godzilla's expression fell immediately. "What?"
"We found his body lying on the ground with a stab wound in his chest." Mothra explained. Godzilla fell silent, and remained that way for a few seconds. His gaze drifted down to his bed and he closed his eyes, taking in this awful news.
"... Do you know how?" He asked.
"No... but we think it was Gigan." Mothra replied.
Godzilla sighed, conveying a mixture of both anger and sadness. Yet another of his best friends was gone, taken by Ghidorah. Not only that, he began thinking of the countless human soldiers who had died fighting his war; a war they weren't supposed to have a part in. Not only the soldiers, but the civilians too, like the ones killed by Titan Ghidorah while he was running away. How many lives was this war going to take, he wondered, and how many were his fault? Mothra sat down on the bed and held his hand, hoping to comfort him.
"Varan and Gorosaurus took him back to Skull Island." She explained. "They don't know what's going to happen, but most likely Hannah will be taking over until their son is old enough to become king."
Mentioning Hannah and their son only made Godzilla feel more terrible. Hannah trusted him to bring her husband back to her, and he failed her. He could only imagine she hated him now. And he didn't blame her.
"... I'm tired of this." Was all he could think to say.
"I know." Mothra said, squeezing his hand. She knew exactly what he meant. But suddenly another thought crossed Godzilla's mind.
"Wait... what happened to my Titan?" He asked. Mothra remembered she needed to tell him that as well.
"After the battle was over, and you passed out, he just walked into the ocean." She explained. Before she could say the rest, Godzilla shot up once again.
"What!?" He asked. Mothra was somewhat shocked by his outburst.
"I-it's fine. the EDF is conducting a search, and Gamera's with them." She said. "Once they find him they'll be able to send him back-"
"I gotta go help them." Godzilla interrupted her. He tried to get up, but Mothra gently pushed him back down.
"No, you're exhausted. You need your rest." She insisted.
"But I'm the only one who can communicate with my Titan!" Godzilla said.
"Then you can communicate with him when Gamera finds him." Mothra asserted. "But for now, you need to lay back and sleep."
"I've slept enough." Godzilla said. He moved away from Mothra and got up from the bed, but he suddenly got a massive head rush as soon as he stood up. He slowly sat back down onto the bed.
"Okay... maybe a few more hours." Godzilla relented, and lay back down. Mothra sighed in relief and placed another cloth over his head. This one was warmed. Godzilla guessed she had been placing them on his head even while he was sleeping.
"You've done enough, Godzilla." She assured. "You've done more than anyone has asked of you. You've earned a rest."
Godzilla nodded. He knew she was right. "... You know, I think I'd feel a lot better if a certain someone were resting beside me." He smirked up at her. Mothra couldn't help but giggle at this.
"Would it help if that 'certain someone' was naked?" She said, winking at him as she began to disrobe.
"You know what, I think it would." Godzilla agreed, holding the blanket up for her to climb in next to him.