Chapter 41: Deal with the Devil

An urgent sounding ringtone woke Godzilla from his peaceful rest. He muttered and rubbed his eyes and looked up to the source of the ringtone. He immidiately went to grab for his phone, but he quickly realized that's not where the sound was coming from. In fact, it was coming from his communicator. The communicator was a device given to him by Jet, allowing him to contact him or anyone at the EDF through audio or video. Unlike his cell phone, the communicator operated on a private network, so there was little to no risk of the calls being traced, and only government officials and allies could talk on it. Godzilla found the ringing device on his nightstand, but before he could reach for it, Mothra clung onto him tighter. She had her arm draped over his waist and her face resting on his arm. Godzilla thought she was asleep.
"Don't pick it up..." She muttered.
"It could be important." Godzilla replied.
"I don't care..." Mothra muttered, nuzzling his arm. "I just care about you right now. Please, lie back down."
Godzilla couldn't help but smile at her. The ringing had stopped anyway, so he obliged her and lay back down. But as soon as he closed his eyes, the ringing started up again. He groaned and sat back up, despite Mothra's protests.
"Nooo..." She whined, reaching for him in her sleepy state.
"Whoever's calling clearly needs my attention." Godzilla yawned. "Maybe Gamera found my Titan and needs my help."
Mothra pouted, but relented. Godzilla saw that it was an audio call, so he held the device to his ear.
"Yeah?" He answered, yawning.
"Hello, Godzilla." A voice on the other side replied. Godzilla's heart dropped. He recognized the voice, but it was one he always hoped never to hear.
"You sound tired. I certainly hope I didn't wake you." Ghidorah said. Godzilla could almost hear his smug smirk through the speaker.
"... How did you get my contact?" He asked.
"I have my ways." Ghidorah replied.
"Tell me how the hell you got my contact, now!" Godzilla yelled. His yelling alerted Mothra to the fact that something was wrong. But she couldn't hear Ghidorah on the other end. Godzilla put the device on speaker so she could hear as well.
"I may have hacked into the EDF communication network and stolen your information." Ghidorah explained. "But that's not why I'm calling."
"Give me a reason not to hang up right now." Godzilla growled.
"Fine, if you want me to cut to the chase." Ghidorah said. "This war of ours has gone longer than I'd hoped for. And I assume you feel the same way. You and I both know our little rivalry will only end with one of our deaths. So I propose we just get it over with."
"Get to the point or I'm hanging up." Godzilla threatened.
"I'm proposing a duel." Ghidorah explained. "You and me, no allies, no armies, no Titans. Just us fighting until one of us stops moving. What do you say?"
Godzilla contemplated his words. He had no reason to trust him. For all he knew this could be a trap. But he thought about how long he had been fighting Ghidorah. Even when he thought he was dead, he always came back. The idea of getting it over with now was tempting.
"... How do I know this isn't a trap?" He asked.
"Because I have nothing to gain from trapping you." Ghidorah replied.
"Yeah you do." Godzilla remarked. He could hear Ghidorah laughing on the other end.
"I suppose you're right." He chuckled. "But nothing I couldn't gain from killing you myself. And besides, laying a trap for you wouldn't be nearly as satisfying. So I can assure you I'm a man of my word, at least in this case."
Godzilla realized he was right. The idea was getting more and more tempting by the second.
"Perhaps I need to sweeten my offer." Ghidorah continued. "If you win, I've instructed my army to leave Earth and never return. You will never hear from them ever again if you defeat me."
"Godzilla, don't do this." Mothra pleaded, grabbing onto Godzilla's wrist. But he had already made up his mind.
"Name a time and place." He told Ghidorah.
"Let's say Shibuya City in one hour. Do we have a deal?" Ghidorah asked.
Godzilla glanced at Mothra, who was still silently begging him to refuse. But that was something he couldn't do.
"... Yes." He said.
"Good. Until we meet again." Ghidorah replied. And before Godzilla could say another word, he hung up. It was then the reality of what he had just done set in for him. Ghidorah had just challenged him to a 1 on 1 duel, and he'd accepted. There was a very good chance he might lose. He placed his hands on his face and fell back onto the bed.
"Why did you agree to that?" Mothra asked. "He could kill you!"
"I know..." Godzilla said, sitting back up. "But I need to do this. Like I said, I'm tired of the fighting. If I do this, and I win, we won't have to anymore."
"And if you lose, you die." Mothra added. Tears began to well up in her eyes. Godzilla noticed and wiped one of them away.
"I won't lose." He replied. "I've never lost to him before, and I'm not about to tonight."
"...Promise me you'll come back." Mothra sniffled. Godzilla placed his hand on her cheek and kissed her.
"I promise." He said.
Mothra still didn't like the idea of this duel, but his promise made her feel a lot better. Suddenly, she remembered something. Something she had been needing to tell him, but couldn't find the words to say.
"Godzilla... do you remember before you went into the other dimension, I was about to tell you something?" She asked.
"Yeah, you said it could wait." Godzilla remembered. "You wanna tell me now?"
Mothra was about to tell him, but she thought against it. It would only distract him in his fight. So she shook her head. "No... it can wait still. So you have something to look forward to when you come back."
Godzilla nodded and stood up from the bed. "I'll be back in the morning." He said. Mothra also nodded and stood up to give him one last kiss before he left.
"I think Rodan and Anguirus are up too... bring them with you just in case it's a trap." She advised.
"I will." Godzilla agreed. He held her hand tightly. "I love you."
"...I love you too." Mothra replied. And with that said, Godzilla left the tent, leaving Mothra alone. She sighed as she watched the tent flaps close behind him. She felt a mixture of emotions that she had never felt before. All she knew was she couldn't wait to see him again.