22

I shivered in the cool winter air. The snow that adorned the branches of the trees sparkled in the sunlight. It reminded me of the mid winter snow that covered everything in the area only a few years back.

  I looked around. Where did he go? Nick couldn't have gotten too far away from me in just the time that it took for me to lock the car. I noticed footprints that trailed up the hill in front of me. How was he so fast? I stepped into the first footprint and began to follow them up. He took larger strides than me, but I didn't feel like forming my own path in the snow.

  I knew there was no way that he was better in the snow than I was, but his footprints showed no signs of slipping. How the fuck did he know how to walk in the snow? It never snows in Texas.

  I noticed him once I approached the top of the hill. He was looking at the scattered trees in front of him. "Nick?" I called out to him as I approached.

  He turned his head and smiled at me. "Hey, slow poke."

  I rolled my eyes at him and leaned against his side. "How the fuck did you even get up here that fast?"

  He just shrugged and wrapped an arm around me. "Why don't you have a coat?"

  I looked at my arms, only covered by the sweater I had chosen to wear. "I'm... not sure."

  Nick took his arm off of me and started to take off the coat he was wearing. "Here. Take mine." He draped the coat over my shoulders and I recognized it as one of Karl's.

  "Well, now you're cold." I frowned at him.

  "I'm not cold." He shook his head and wrapped his arm back around me.

  "How the fuck are you not cold?" I laughed. "Aren't you the one who lives in Texas?"

  He just shrugged again. "I'm just not cold."

  I reluctantly put my arms through the sleeves of the coat before wrapping my arms around him. "That's total bullshit."

  "It's not. I'm seriously not cold." He insisted.

  I looked up at him to find that he was staring at me. He had this beautiful smile that was held over his lips and I couldn't help but look at the brown eyes that I'd immediately found comfort in upon his arrival. "You have pretty eyes." I blurted it out before I could even think it over.

  His soft smile widened. "Your eyes are gorgeous. I don't think FaceTime does them justice."

  I chuckled and hid my face against his chest. "Oh, shut up."

  He gently lifted my head so that I was looking at him again. "I'm not kidding. You're beautiful, Mel."

  My lips parted in surprise. Where was this coming from? I noticed the way that his eyes flicked down to look at my lips and I felt as though my heart stopped beating.

  "Mel?" His tone was quiet.

  "Yeah?" I forced the words past my lips, feeling my stomach swirling with anticipation at what his next words would be.

  He took a small breath. "Can I kiss you?"

  I immediately nodded. "Yes."

  He began to lean down towards my lips and I closed my eyes, trying to close the gap between us.

  I felt nothing there anymore and I opened my eyes, knocked out of the world that my mind had created. I slowly returned to my senses and cursed my dreams.

  That was when I felt the warm palm against my thigh and the body heat that was engulfing me. I fully woke up once I felt the presence of another person. Memories of last night crashed into me, the laughter and the mind numbing exhaustion that both Nick and I were feeling.