Chapter 38

Dani’s P.O.V.

Dani was getting ready for her date with Austin tonight. She knew that she had to really step it up a notch if she wanted to win back his heart. Austin was already leaning towards Ally meaning she had less of a chance with him, but the thought that he was still giving her a shot made her heart soar. When Austin and she first broke up, she thought that it was over between them forever; Austin would go off with Ally, get married, and have kids. Now, after what Ally had told her, she knew she still had a chance to be with Austin.

Dani ran her straightener through her hair and glanced at the clock. She had 15 minutes before Austin would come and pick her up for their date tonight. She decided on wearing a pair of black skinny jeans, a red top, and applied some mascara to make her blue eyes pop.

Making her way downstairs, she walked over to the kitchen, got a glass, and filled it about halfway with water from the fridge. She looked over at the clock; Austin was five minutes late. The thought of one of her and Austin’s firsts dates came rushing back and she couldn’t stop the thoughts that formed in her mind: what if Austin had chose to stand her up again?  What if he already chose Ally and he just didn’t tell her.

She went into the family room and plopped down onto the couch. Dani sipped her water and flipped on the TV while she waited. She glanced at the clock and saw that Austin was now twenty-five minutes late. She sighed I guess he isn’t coming. Dani made her way back upstairs and changed into her pajamas. She sat on her bed and pulled out her phone and started scrolling through some tweets. She was scrolling when she spotted a new tweet from Austin 40 minutes ago.

@AustinMoon Can’t wait for my date tonight! It’s going to be amazing.

Dani turned off her phone. Had Austin gone out with Ally instead of her? She felt a tear slide down her cheek. She quickly wiped it away and took a deep breath. She knew this was going to happen, but she just didn’t want to admit it to herself. More tears rushed down her face as she began to accept the truth; Austin had stood her up.  

Austin’s P.O.V.

Austin walked up onto her porch with a yellow tulip in his hand. He knew it was one of her favorite flowers and that her face would light up the second she saw it.  He was planning on taking  her out to go ice skating and then after they could get something to eat. She didn’t really know how to ice skate but he knew he could teach her and that it would end up being fun anyway. He also had to tell her the truth tonight.

He rang the doorbell once, took a step back, and waited. He waited about one minute, but still no one answered the door. He rang it again and heard some shuffling behind the door before it slowly creaked open. He saw her standing there in her pajamas; her eyes looked puffy like she had just been crying.

“Dani? Are you okay?” He asked in a soft voice.

“Austin--” her voice cracked.

“Dani? What’s wrong?” He asked as he stepped into the house and pulled Dani into a hug. She wrapped her arms around his waist and rested her head in the crook of his neck.

“I thought you stood me up.” She mumbled into his neck.

“No, I would never do that. I’m sorry that I’m late. I had to drop Alec off at his friends house. I was going to call you but my phone is dead.”  That was the truth too. He hadn’t charged it for a couple days now and it died this morning when he was talking to Ally.

“It’s okay. I’m just glad you came.” He could feel a smile spread across her face.

“Me too.” Austin smiled as he released Dani from their hug. “Now, how about we go up stairs so you can change and then we will leave. Okay?”