Chapter 11

Austin’s P.O.V.

Austin popped the movie into the DVD player. They were watching Gnomeo and Juliet. It was Dani’s favorite movie and Austin had never seen it, so she insisted on watching it. They settled down on the couch with a bowl of popcorn as the movie started.

“I heard that Ash and Ally are a thing now,” Dani said.

“Yeah, but I don’t really want to talk about it. Can we just watch the movie?” Austin asked

“Yeah, sure,” Austin could tell Dani was disappointed that they couldn't talk, but he actually wanted to see the movie. It looked interesting, even if it was a kid’s movie.

Half way through the movie, Austin could tell Dani was getting tired. He didn’t blame her, she has seen it over 20 times.

Dani put her head on Austin’s shoulder, slowly drifting out of consciousness. He looked at the clock, 10:45. He had to get home soon, but he didn’t want to wake Dani.

His dad would understand. It’s not like his dad didn’t like Dani, he loved her. He always would tell Austin that he should date her. That she would be the perfect girl for him. His exact words were “You need to get out and find yourself a girl. How about Dani? You two would be perfect.”

Dani snuggled a little closer to him, shivering. It‘s cold in here, he thought to himself. He put his arm around her to try to warm her up a little. He really wished he had a blanket to throw over them.

He looked down at Dani and noticed how happy she looked. Even in her sleep, she always had a smile on her face. He wondered what she was dreaming about.

~Dani’s Dream~

Dani looked down at her phone and saw she had a new text message from her dad.

<FROM: Dad

your mom is in the hospital. you need to get here asap.>

Dani snapped her phone closed and rushed out the door. It was raining buckets. She got into her car, worried about her mom and the rain. She hated driving in the rain and especially at night. She pulled out of the driveway and drove towards the hospital.

Dani turned onto the highway, careful not to skid on the puddles. She sped up, trying to get to the hospital as fast as she could. She had no idea what had happened to her mother that caused her to end up in the hospital. What if the injury was only something minor like a concussion? But what if it was something serious and she had gone into a coma?

Dani sped up. She knew what she was doing but didn’t bother to stop. She was focused on figuring out what had happened to her mom, and she wasn’t paying attention to the road. She reached 95 miles per hour and lost control of her car. It swerved into the next lane and onto the patch of grass that separated the cars going in different directions. Her car began to flip over and just before the roof hit the ground, she woke up.

Austin’s P.O.V.

Dani jumped under his arm. He noticed she was sweating and had a worry line on her forehead.

“Are you okay?” Austin asked.

“Yeah. It was just a bad dream,” Dani said, worry still showing on her face.

“Want to tell me about it?” Austin asked softly.

“Not really,” Dani said, shrugging Austin’s arm off and moving away from him.

“Are you sure?” he asked. She looked terrified like a little girl who lost her mom. He wanted to know why she was so scared so he could pull her close and tell her it would be alright.