Chapter 33

Austin’s POV

Austin walked up the pathway and rang the doorbell. Usually when he came over he would just go in the side door, but he didn’t feel welcomed anymore. Dani answered the door. This was the third time he had seen her like this: puffy eyes and a red nose. He could tell she had been crying for a while now.

“Come here,” he said opening his arms. Dani wrapped her arms around his waist. It was like they were best friends again and none of this drama ever happened. “What’s wrong?”

“Josh,” Dani mumbled into his chest.

“What did he do?” Austin asked.

“He cheated on me.”

“What?” Austin pulled back so he could see Dani’s face.

“Josh kissed another girl.”

“In front of you?”

“Yeah.” Dani looked down at the ground. Austin saw a tear roll down her cheek.

Austin couldn’t believe it. Poor Dani, first him and now Josh . “Come on. Let’s go talk.” Austin walked inside, taking a seat on the couch, Dani doing the same. “You don’t have to tell me what happened right now if you don’t want to, but when you do, I’ll listen.”

Dani shook her head and sniffled. “No, I--I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?”

Dani simply nodded.

“Okay, whenever you’re ready.”

Dani sighed. “So Josh and I were supposed to go see a movie tonight. I felt like it’d be better to get to the theater early, and I thought he would’ve done the same thing. Well he kind of did, but not in the same way. When I got there, it was really crowded because a few movies just let out. So I looked through the crowd to find him, and I saw him standing near the girl’s bathroom, which I thought was weird, but he was alone, so I started to walk towards him. And then, before I got over to him, this...” Dani started to tear up again.

Austin grabbed her hand with both of his. “Dani. It’s alright. Take a deep breath and then just say it.”

Dani did as he said. “Then this slutty blonde girl walked out of the bathroom and he put his arm around her. And then he kissed her. He kissed her, Austin. When he was supposed to be going on a date with me, his girlfriend. Or I guess one of his girlfriends.”

“Can I ask you something, Dani?”

“Sure.”

“Why did you need me to come over? Why couldn’t you just talk to Casey? Isn’t she a lot better with relationships than I am? I always screw things up somehow, and she has the most perfect relationship I’ve ever seen.”

“That’s just it. She’s only ever been in one relationship, and that’s with Aaron. She’s never had her heart broken before. She wouldn’t understand where I’m coming from.”

“And I would.” Austin didn’t say it as a question.

“Yeah.”

A smile spread across Austin’s face. “You know what?”

“What?”

“Let’s go get some Starbucks. I know that always cheers you up.”

A small smile appeared across Dani’s face. “You know me so well.”

Casey’s P.O.V.

Aaron and Casey sat in the living room on the couch, Aaron’s arm around Casey’s shoulder, and her head resting on his chest. They were watching Once Upon A Time, one of Casey’s favorite shows, and it was a re-run. Suddenly Alec came running down the stairs and into the room.