Chapter 22

Aaron’s P.O.V.

Aaron drove Casey home in silence. They were both worried that they would say the wrong thing and upset each other. Aaron pulled into Casey’s driveway and put the car into park.

“I can’t believe he’s gone,” Casey said breaking the silence. “And just like that too.”

“I know. I kinda wish I got to know him a little better. Everyday Austin would come home and tell me some funny thing that Dez had said or done. He would be laughing so hard, I could barely understand him. I have always wanted a friend like that. Someone who could make me laugh so hard that I would fall on the floor. I mean, sure, I have Acker, but he’s like a brother to me. It’s just not the same.” Aaron just stared out the window at a tree in the distance.

“It’s going to be so different now,” Casey said, “Like when we go to Sonic Boom tomorrow. We won’t see him come down the steps, with that big goofy grin on his face. Or hear Ally yell at him for touching her book. Or see him pull the most random stuff out of his backpack. We will never see his ginger hair or his crazy clothes. We will never have his video camera shoved in our face. Sure, we all hated it, but now we’re really going to miss it.” The tears started rolling down her face.

Aaron pulled her into a tight hug. “It’s okay, Case. We just have to remember the good things, not the bad.”

“I know, it’s just seeing him like that in the hospital. It’s the only way I can picture him now. I try not to think about it, but it keeps creeping back up into my thoughts.”

“I will always be here for you. You can call or text me whenever.” Aaron said, trying to make her feel better.

“Thanks babe.” Aaron released her from the hug and gave her a gentle kiss. He sat back in his seat, thinking about how Austin must be feeling right now. He knew Dez was one of his closest friends and losing him must be the hardest thing in the world.

“So do you want to reschedule our date?” Casey asked out of nowhere. Before they got the call that Dez was in the car crash, Casey and him had a date planned. They were going to go into town. He just wished they could’ve gone on the date. He didn’t blame the accident for ruining their night. It’s just they haven’t had one night out alone in a long time.

“Well, yeah, but I think we should wait a little. A lot of things have happened, and the funeral will be soon.”

“I know. I was just thinking that maybe it would cheer us up a bit.” Casey said, searching through her purse, probably looking for her phone.

“Maybe tonight we could go to a movie,” Aaron suggested. She pulled out her phone and started to scroll through her messages.

“Yeah, that would be--” Casey’s jaw dropped.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, it was just something that Dani texted me.”

“Oh, okay,” he said, looking back out the window.

“I have to go,” She said throwing her phone back into her purse. “I’ll text you later.”

“Yeah, see ya.” Casey got out of the car and went to the front door of her house and walked inside. Aaron sat there in his car. He wondered what Dani had said to Casey, but he didn’t want to ask her.

He pulled out of her driveway and headed to home. He opened the front door to hear screaming.

“Austin! Open the door!” he heard a girl yell. He went upstairs to see what was going. He found Dani standing in front of his bedroom door wearing one of Ash’s shirts.