Chapter 21

Dani’s P.O.V.

~Earlier that Morning~

Dani couldn’t believe what she was seeing play out in front of her. When Austin left she had expected him to take a total of five minutes to walk in, retrieve the purse, and walk out, but he was in there for a while. She decided she would go and look for him. The sun was starting to rise slowly behind her, leaving the sky a pink and orange color.

Now she watched as Austin slowly leaned forward until his forehead rested against Ally’s and their lips were almost touching. He was in love with Ally, and Dani knew that. She just didn’t want to admit it to herself.

Their lips touched and Dani just couldn’t stay quiet anymore.

“How could you?” she said, the tears already rolling down her face. She turned around and ran away as fast as she could.

“Dani! Let me explain!” Austin yelled behind her. But she couldn’t stand to look at him, or even hear what he has to say. She thought Austin was better than that. Sure, Austin was acting kinda strange before, but she thought it had to do with his best friend’s death, not with Ally.

She ran across the street,not caring about where she was going, she collapsed onto a bench, wiping her eyes with her sleeve. She stared at the black streaks that her makeup left on one of her favorite shirts. She knew it would never come out, but she didn’t care.

She remembered the time when Austin told her that she was more important than any girl. She was beginning to doubt if he really meant it. And when Austin had sung to her, did he really mean it, or was he just singing it to her as a friend? After all, Dani was the one who had kissed him first, but he had kissed her back.

She couldn’t just sit here when Austin was kissing that bitch, not caring about what he had done to her. Her fairytale had turned into a nightmare. She saw Ash’s black Honda pull up to the bench where she was crying.

“Dani, what are you doing?”

“Nothing.” she said, quickly wiping her face again to cover up that she had been crying. “What are you doing? Didn’t you go home hours ago?”

“Well, Ally and I got in a fight, and I didn’t want to go home to see the person who had started that fight, so I decided to get a coffee at Starbucks.”

“Oh, let me guess. Austin’s that person?”

“Who else would it be? Wait, how did you know?”

“Well Austin and I went out to breakfast...” What does that have to do with anything? Dani thought. “Well Austin was going back to the hospital to get...” Why couldn’t she just say it? “ I saw them kissing,” she finally blurted out.

“Oh, Dani! I’m so sorry!” he said, his eyes filled with sorrow. He stretched out his arms and Dani walked forward slowly, leaning against Ash’s chest, letting herself collapse into his arms. “Looks like both of our days have started out pretty badly.”

“There is really nothing that we can do now,” her voice muffled by his shirt.

“ Well...there is one thing,” Ash said, pulling away from Dani so he could look into her eyes. “Do you need a ride home?” he asked, his hazel eyes sparkling in the early morning sun.

“Yeah. That would be great” She climbed into the passenger seat and watched Ash walk around to the other side of the car. He flipped his hair and started the car.

“Do you have any tissues?” Dani asked looking at herself in the car mirror. She looked awful.

“Yeah. They’re in the glove compartment.” Dani opened it to find a picture of him and Ally. They were at the beach and Ash was giving her a piggyback ride. They both had big grins on their faces.