02: Snow

There was only a numb feeling. The same one that day where rain was falling, and I was in front of your grave.

Hans opened his eyes, he felt his body exhausted. He tried to make sense of the situation around him but his senses failed on him.

...where am I?

He tried to look around him and slowly got up. But when he did a sharp pain recoiled throughout his body. He hissed and remembered.

...right, I just had an accident.

Hans sighed, as he laid back flatly on the ground. He didn't try to struggle anymore, it was as if he had really lost the will to fight for his life.

Is this heaven?

Hans stared at the sky, he noticed that time seemed to have paused. The air was still, the leaves from trees didn't move. He also noticed that he was at the back of a small straw hut. It was cute but the atmosphere didn't reciprocate. Instead it felt dead and empty. He looked up and saw snow... Or was it?

He examined the snow-like particles slowly drifting in the air and saw that It was more like raining ash rather than snow. It made sense since he couldn't feel cold whatsoever.

Once again, Hans tried to muster up enough strength to stand up, but every time he did so his body would feel like it's tearing apart. He pushed himself up only to fall with a soft sound on the pile of ash-like snow.

He gave up trying. He then tried to look around for anyone to help. He saw a young man with a shovel, sitting down on the ground in a dazed state while his back faced Hans' direction.

"Ah... Help...!"

Hans struggled to shout, his throat felt dry and hoarse. He reached his body towards the young man, but it seemed like the person didn't notice the struggling man behind him.

The young man looked like he was about the same age as Hans. He wore a dark colored robe that had splashes of mud in it, his hair was frigid and his arms looked dark.

Is he dead..?

The young man kept his head down in a daze in front of what seemed like a large hole that could fit a whole adult inside.

But before Hans could realize it, a wave of exhaustion overwhelmed him. He struggled to fight it, but it was deemed useless. He saw that young man slowly stood up. Hans tried once more to reach him, but the last thing he saw was the young man that fell inside the hole.