Ex 02: The Final Piece

'Hans' sat quietly inside the burning office with a burnt book in hand. He has read this book a million times since his first arrival in this strange space but only now he could comprehend what the charred texts meant.

Is it because it's his last day staying in this wretched world?

Or is it because he wants time to go faster so that he could move immediately.

Either way, he was stopped in the middle of reading after hearing a knock from the scorched door.

'Hans' was baffled by the unexpected event that he had to double check whether or not what he heard was real or not.

He stood up and went for the door and saw a figure similar to himself. The visitor was wearing tattered clothing that represented a time in the past.

"...Hi." the familiar face stiffly smiled.

"Oh..." 'Hans' got over his initial shock and greeted back. "It's been a while Henry... Right? Are you the second or third?"

"Oh it's second actually..." Henry replied with a small smile. He continued.

"Last time we met you were ball of rage and anger." Henry chuckled at the recollection.

'Hans' cringed. "And you were a wreck of your own." He bickered.

Henry, embarrassed, rubbed his dirty hands in his rough hair. "Yeah... It was ridiculous." But despite saying that, a feeling of pain after recollecting a memory surfaced in his eyes.

"Come in, and make yourself comfortable. And don't worry about the fire, it can't burn you." 'Hans' moved himself out the door way and showed Henry a seared sofa.

Silence greeted the two similar figures as they bask in their own familiar comfort. Reminiscing about a past that no longer existed.

'Hans' opened his mouth, "So, what can I do for you?"

"..." Henry became silent for a while. Trying to find the right words to say. "Do you..."

Henry hesitated. He didn't want to bestow unpleasant memories to either both of them, but he wanted answers, he wanted a resolution to their cruel felt. "Are you still angry?"

"..." It was 'Hans' turn to be silent. A cold air surrounded the man.

"...Anger. Can you really call it that?" 'Hans' stood up and brought himself closer to a burning bookshelf. "It was not only that, I was distraught, betrayed, used, and humiliated." His eyes that showed a cool gaze was now ablaze.

"I trusted 'Daniel' with all my heart, gave what he wanted, and satisfied his desires. He promised me one day that will become the most powerful mages in the entire country, yet... once he had his fill he opened the portal and banished me in this space.

"I tried all I can to get out of here thinking that it was just some kind of stupid mistake. But when I got back he suddenly became the Archimage, claiming all of my contributions as his own and telling people that I was just a pitiful assistant who died in an experiment."

"That cannot be just anger, Henry." Henry was startled when 'Hans' turned around and felt overpowered by his immense gaze, yet he couldn't ease him as he also understands what it feels to be in that position.

Henry shared a comforting gaze to 'Hans'. "And that's why you destroyed the Academy, including 'Daniel'."

"And now you lie awake in this endless domain, as a punishment from the Gods. Forever seeking revenge by eliminating reincarnations of 'Daniel' in every timeline." Henry finished, empathy in his eyes.

"Yes, and as you can see..." 'Hans continued, his voice softened. "This place starting to crumble." 'Hans' looked outside from the broken window, witnessing pieces of the ground disintegrating into the void of nothingness.

"It is a sign, Hans. Please, cease your anguish." Henry cried softly. "You already saw it, the new incarnations are brought together once again by fate."

But the cruel gaze had not been extinguished. 'Hans' apathetically glanced at Henry. "You're right, this place, and my existence is nearing its end. I can no longer avenge myself but it won't matter."

Many emotions filled 'Hans' mind, maybe in the inside he knew, that the sole reason he was stuck in this place because he couldn't move on, he couldn't stop himself from being hurt as he still loved the man whom he cherished deep in his heart. And maybe it is a sign, the moment he laid eyes on the new incarnation of himself, deeply in anguish, looking for his long lost lover, he knew that these feelings were never once lost and was kept there slowly sullied.

'Hans' wanted to laugh, but his tears betrayed. When was the last time I cried like this? He no longer remembers. But he will always remember the hurt he has experienced and the love he once gave up.

But he can no longer blame others for what he had felt. He can only blame himself.

"I'm sorry for what I did in your timeline..." 'Hans' slowly approached Henry.

Henry smiled, "isn't it too late for that?"

'Hans' smiled. "Yeah. It is too late."

"What about your henchmen?" Henry reminded.

'Hans' shrugged, "He doesn't belong here in the first place. He'll just go back to when he first originated without memories of this place."

Henry laughed. "Cruel as always, huh. I wish the others would see this side of yours."

The air around them warmed, as the world around them crumbled and eventually lost its foundation. Debris slowly fell into what looks like a black hole, then a bright light engulfed the surrounding space.