Chapter 2

Just far away? Ravenkit thought. Frostkit was just by the prey-and-rock pile as Foxkit had stated. Even he could hear Blueleaf calling from there! Ravenkit felt just as suspicious as Applenose. There was something wrong with Frostkit.

Applenose was curled with her kits. Ravenkit curled up with Blueleaf, he felt Foxkit's bushy tail on his nose and sneezed. He couldn't help but wonder if Frostkit was deaf. Ravenkit had heard before cats could be born deaf, not able to hear anything. Surely that's better than not seeing?

Ravenkit curled tighter to sleep. If you were blind you could not see where an enemy warrior is, but you can hear and smell. And what about being deaf? You can only smell and see your way to an enemy warrior. Ravenkit narrowed his green eyes. It was hard to decide to be deaf or blind.

But is Frostkit deaf?

Ravenkit waited until the den was only empty with Blueleaf and Applenose inside. He grudgly mewed. "Blueleaf is Frostkit deaf?"

Blueleaf's fur pricked up and all went silent.

"What do you think?" Blueleaf meowed finally. Before he could answer she snapped. "She's perfectly fine!"

"But she couldn't hear you yesterday when you called her!" Ravenkit's meows turned to desperate cries.

Applenose stroked Ravenkit's back with her fluffy white tail. "Ravenkit. She is deaf."

Blueleaf craned her neck to stare at Blueleaf. "She's not deaf!" She snarled.

"Stop trying to defend her. You know that yourself!" Applenose hissed.

Ravenkit's heart burned when he noticed that he made the two queens argue. His claws pricked the floor beneath him. It's my fault! My fault! Ravenkit wanted to wail and cuddle with his birth mother, Lightspark.

Ravenkit raced out of the nursery. His head clodding on the bickering cats and his thoughts filling his mind. Do not worry young kit, I am here for you, Ravenkit heard a voice in his mind. Who was that? When you are ready I will help you. The voice promised. No! No! I need help now! Ravenkit persisted, but the mysterious cat did not reply.

Frustrated, Ravenkit scratched the ground. His fur pricking with anger he wanted to release. Why did I ask that dumb question?

Ravenkit ignored Foxkit's calling when she said if he wanted to play with her. He was too angry to play with anyone. He felt moss by his paws and began to scratch it, he felt it fly everywhere beside him.

"Woah! Woah! There kit!"

Ravenkit hesitated, he released the moss stuck in his claws. "Who's there?" He didn't know all the cats here.

"Windtuft." The cat responded.

"I guessed that." Ravenkit mewed, he plucked out moss in between his claws.

"You were shredding the prey-and-rock's pile surroundings." Windtuft told him gently.

Ravenkit gulped. He was? Only now he recognized the meaty scents that wafted towards him. Was Windtuft going to delay his training because of his anger?

Windtuft just purred. "Be more careful next time."

Yes, next time. . . Ravenkit echoed. His anger had cooled down and his fur grew matted once again. Ravenkit padded over to the playing kits, he felt arms tired from scratching the moss.

"Wanna play Ravenkit?" he heard Hollowkit from the corner of his ears.

Ravenkit flicked his tail. "I'll just watch."