Chapter 21

Treepaw launched himself into the air, landing on a mouse that was sniffling the stone floors. Treepaw let out a yowl of triumph and scrambled back to Ravenflight.

"Very good." Ravenflight praised, he found it hard to hunt, despite seeing.

"It's not fair Nightpaw gets to be a moor-hunter," Treepaw snorted, giving the mouse a shove. The warm greenleaf air rushed towards them, in a cold matter. The mountains seemed warmer, and Mumbletooth came up here to bask with Nightfoot, which had moved to the elders' den.

Ravenflight purred in amusement. "I didn't think I was fit for stone-hunting too. But I learned very much. And you can still go on the moor."

Treepaw just stared at him, eyes wide. Badgerpaw came up with Sunblaze. Sunblaze purred at his new apprentice. Badgerpaw seemed very happy, she skipped with delight.

"It's nice to see you, Badgerpaw." Ravenflight purred. He remembered Badgerpaw, a tiny kit. Her birth parents were mysterious, but Badgerpaw still seemed to work her way to be the best apprentice she was.

Badgerpaw circled Sunblaze. "Will we catch eagles?"

"Oh, we will." Sunblaze mewed at her. "But not yet. Eagles aren't the easiest prey to catch."

"Tch! Eagles don't stand a chance against me!" Treepaw puffed out his chest fur.

Ravenflight gave Treepaw a warning glance. "Don't be so cocky."

The four trotted further into the hunting grounds. The scent of mice circled the area. Treepaw ducked now onto his hunt position, sniffing a few stalks of grass. Badgerpaw did the same, but her hunting position was lopsided. Ravenflight glanced at Sunblaze, he had to teach her that move. Sunblaze paid no attention, and focused on his apprentice.

Treepaw creeped forward and then leaped onto a thrush when he got near. Ravenflight pricked his ears up in interest, he had not smelled the thrush. Badgerpaw hissed angrily under her breath, and stalked back to Sunblaze.

"Very good." Ravenflight praised.

Treepaw frowned. "I could have done better if Badgerpaw wasn't making so much noise."

"The wind was blowing towards you!" Badgerpaw pointed out crossly.

Treepaw just replied with a flick of his tail.

Hollowstep's belly was growing larger with kits. And her eyes were exhausted, she had moved into the nursery lately. Ravenflight remembered Lightspark and Quillflight praising him for his new kits. I'm so excited!

Thicketstripe had moved back to warrior duties, and Bristlenose seemed angry enough to be stuck with Snakekit and Rowankit. His former mentor was desperate to leave the well-sheltered nursery.

Hollowstep emerged from the nursery, purring at the sight of Ravenflight. Ravenflight stalked his way towards her, nuzzling her.

"Bristlenose is complaining again," she mewed, rolling her eyes. "Just because her kits are excited to have new denmates soon enough."

"Honestly, Bristlenose should be happy there's more cats in the Clan." Ravenflight meowed.

Hollowstep narrowed her eyes, imitating Bristlenose: "'And less food for the Clan!'"

Ravenflight purred, he drew his muzzle onto Hollowstep's stomach. "Are you in there, little kits? I'm your father, Ravenflight." Hollowstep let out a mrrow of amusement, Ravenflight pushed his head back up. He stared into Hollowstep's amber eyes, he felt as if he had dived into a pool of honey.

"I'm going to take a nap." Hollowstep yawned.

Ravenflight nodded, watching as she trotted back into the nursery.