Chapter 3

Blueleaf licked Ravenkit's and Foxkit's pelts furiously. Her green eyes wide.

"You two must look your best!"

Foxkit's pelt was down so much that it looked as if she just dove in the river.

"I can't wait!" Foxkit puffed.

Ravenkit purred. He wasn't excited because of today, well, he was. He was excited because Mistleheart would finally teach him!

Featherstar picked his way to the tree trunk. Ravenkit straightened up.

"All cats old enough to run the moor, or climb the mountain gather around for a Clan meeting!" Featherstar yowled. "Today two kits will be becoming apprentices. As you know they will be given the ability of being a moor-hunter or a stone-hunter by tests. But for now I will choose what fits them the most." Featherstar jumped down the tree trunk. "Foxkit come up."

Foxkit raced to Featherstar. Ravenkit sneezed as his sister threw sand onto his face.

"Foxkit, from now on you will be known as Foxpaw. Your mentor will be Creakstep!"

Foxpaw raced over to Creakstep. Her fur bushed up. The apprentice and warrior touched noses. Ravenkit realized that Foxpaw was given a moor-hunter warrior. Ravenkit's claws pricked the ground.

"Ravenkit come up." Ravenkit came over to the leader shakily. "Your mentor will be Bristlenose. and you will be known as Ravenpaw."

Ravenpaw looked around for the gray tabby she-cat but he could not recognize her scent in the jumble of cats. A tail tip touched his shoulder and he looked up. Bristlenose purred as the two touched noses. I'm a stone-hunter? Does that really fit me? He couldn't ignore the fact that Bristlenose was a short-tempered cat.

The cats called their new names. Ravenpaw purred, his fur puffing out.

"And that is the thunderpaths!" Bristlenose finished.

Ravenpaw stared in awe as each side of the territory had thunderpaths. His tail flicked. Foxpaw bounced beside him. Creakstep flicked his tail.

"There's much more to the land then this." Creakstep added. "It goes on and on."

Ravenpaw wanted to explore all of it. Except, he wouldn't be blind.

Ravenpaw's paws ached from all the walking, and his stomach grumbled.

"Let's head back to eat," Bristlenose suggested. "Tomorrow I'll show Ravenpaw and Foxpaw the mountain territories."

"I don't want to be on stones." Foxpaw growled softly. "I much rather be a moor-hunter."

Ravenkit shrugged. He didn't care what they gave him.

***

Wind ruffled Ravenpaw's fur. It made him cold to the bone. He fluffed his fur up.

"Be careful. The apprentices' den is this way." Bristlenose led them to a small piece of land on the mountain, inside was den. "As you know."

"We had to sleep on some old moss there yesterday," Foxpaw muttered.

Bristlenose purred. "Then you can get some today."

They climbed another slope to another piece of land. It had the warriors' den in it.

"That's where the warriors' den is," Creakstep meowed.

Ravenpaw studied his surroundings. The floor beneath him felt cold. There were patches of grass every here and there.

"It's so cold here." Foxpaw mewed.